Mar 10, 2021
Iowa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello Everyone,

I love reading the pool building threads here so I thought I would share my DIY pool build story. The whole the project isn't complete but the pool is done and that is why we are here, right?. Its a long story, so I'll start with the too TLDR: With the exception of the gas line, and some help from my father, I built my own 16'x32' vinyl liner swimming pool by myself in just over two months.

Pool Specs:
16'x32' with 8' Deep End, 3'6 Shallow End
Concrete Coping
6" Radius Corners
Auto Cover
19,200 gallon
27mil Vinyl Liner
Hayward 250k Btu NG Heater
Hayward 5030 Cartridge Filter
Hayward Tristar VS950

Hopefully some of you find this interesting or helpful.

Attachments

• 20210809_061403.jpg
    20210809_061403.jpg
    453.4 KB · Views: 33
The Thought: My wife is a teacher and is off all summer with our two kids. A few years ago on a hot mid-July day my wife mentioned that it would be nice to have a pool. Now she has a lot of spur of the moment thoughts of this, that, or then next thing that would be nice. Most don’t come to fruition and are quickly forgotten about, but this one was different. She kept talking about it and of course our kids were not going to let this go, so we started looking into different options.

First up, above ground pool. We went to a couple pool companies and looked at a few options. Let’s do it we said. Before committing to anything I pulled out our HOA covenants and low and behold above ground pool are not allowed. Our HOA is small, and I know there are enough people against pools to know I won’t get a variance. This was a bummer, however the HOA covenants allowed inground pools. (I still heard through the grape vine people were not happy we were/are doing this. But I work within the rule book, so I pay no mind.) Naturally we talk about an inground pool and decide to investigate further. My initial thought was there is no way we can afford an inground pool but there are a few pool companies around and there’s no harm in looking. After some discussion we came up with an amount that we were willing to spend for a swimming pool.

We setup a weekend visit with a pool contractor about 45 minutes from our home. What we were after was a ballpark cost for a 16’x32’ with and 8’ deep end pool. We arrive and look at his personal pool and talk about what we are looking for roughly 20 minutes but cost never enters the discussion. At this point, not wanting to waste his or my time, I asked for a ballpark number. Needless to say, we left a little discouraged. While our “willing to spend” budget was substantial, we weren’t going to be able to have someone put a pool in for that amount. We back burner the idea, start saving, and look into financing. I’m sure that many people finance pool builds, I’m not knocking those who do, but I just couldn’t talk myself into taking out a loan for a swimming pool.

The Realization: In the meantime, I figure someone has built their own pool and I Youtube “DIY Swimming Pool”. Lots of results surface and in those results, was a series of videos from Pool Warehouse. Might I mention that I’m a DIYer and have been the construction industry all my life and this is…. interesting. I watch the videos and start searching online for swimming pool kits. I found a couple companies and price out what we are looking for and setup a spreadsheet with costs for the pool kit, electrical, plumbing, fencing, pool deck and other miscellaneous costs. After a lot more research and tabbing the costs, I find that our “willing to spend” and my DIY budget weren’t all that far apart.

I pitch the idea to my wife, and she is on board with doing it ourselves (by ourselves I mean myself lol). I will say that after pitching the idea and her agreeing to it I went back and forth in my head on whether I could/wanted to do it or not. Obviously because I’m here sharing this story, I talked myself into it.

The Order: We place our order on Feb. 10th, 2021 and begin the 12-14 week anticipated lead time. You might notice that this is the date the Texas freeze started. Initially I thought it may affect our order with high demand for replacement parts, but it didn’t seem to.

12 weeks would have put delivery in mid-May which would have been perfect. Much to my surprise I get notification that the kit is on its way and schedule for delivery April 27th. Yay, we can get a couple weeks head start. The pool kit arrives and there are four damaged panels, I file a claim and start waiting for up to 15 days for replacement panels. No big deal this essentially puts me at the original delivery date. A couple weeks pass, and I get notification that my replacement parts will arrive on May 14th which they do. Unfortunately, three of the four replacement panel are damaged. I file another claim but this time I cannot get ahold of anyone from the supplier to confirm that they received my claim or that they are working on sending replacement panels. Memorial Day weekend arrives, I still haven’t been able to contact or have any indication that the supplier is going to make this right so I decide I can wait any longer.

The Dig (6/2 – 6/5): On Memorial Day I striped my topsoil and, with the help of my father, commenced excavation the following evening. It took four days of digging and hauling after work to get the pool excavated. We hauled 30 dump trailer loads (approx. 100 CY) to a local fill site. Shaping the hopper was tedious by hand, of course it was upper 80s while doing it.

Attachments

• 20210601_202116_Resized.jpg
    20210601_202116_Resized.jpg
    543.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210605_115935_resized.jpg
    20210605_115935_resized.jpg
    885.7 KB · Views: 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Walls (6/6 – 6/7): The next day, after completing the excavation, I started assembling the wall panels, braces, stairs, and deck supports. Did I mention I still hadn’t heard anything regarding my replacement panels? To move forward I straighten some of the less damaged panels. In the end I was able to arrange the damaged panels in a way that none of the bent portions would be visible. I did all this work myself and it took two days the get them assembled, plumbed, and fill all the bolt holes.

Attachments

• 20210606_172422_resized.jpg
    20210606_172422_resized.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210606_172439_resized.jpg
    20210606_172439_resized.jpg
    484.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20210607_195557_resized.jpg
    20210607_195557_resized.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 29
The Concrete Collar (6/8): The day following the wall panels assembly my father and I poured the collar, and the level portions of the deep end and shallow ends. This took about three hours total by the time we got it placed, finished, and everything cleaned up.

Coincidently I received an email that my replacement panels would be delivered on 6/10, too little too late. They had in fact received my claim and had been working on the replacement parts but never contacted me. It wouldn’t have mattered as these panels were also damaged.

Buried Plumbing (6/9 – 6/18) Over the next week plus, once the collar was poured, the skimmers were installed, and underground piping was run to the equipment pad location. The underground piping was pressure tested to 30 psi for 24 hours. Also, again with the help of my father, the transition from shallow to deep end was poured.

Hopper Sides (6/19 – 6-20) Over this weekend I mixed and place 120, 60# bags of mortar on the hopper sides. Saturday was brutally hot and I had to quit about 1 pm, I finished on Sunday.

Attachments

• 20210608_180837_resized.jpg
    20210608_180837_resized.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210613_191343_resized.jpg
    20210613_191343_resized.jpg
    800.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210619_153106_resized.jpg
    20210619_153106_resized.jpg
    447.7 KB · Views: 32
Electrical Conduit (6/21 – 7/2) The next two weeks I worked on installing the auto cover housing, electrical conduit, and backfilling. These two weeks I had in-laws visiting for a few days and it rain for three days. I felt progress was slow but sometimes things don’t go exactly right.

Pool Deck (7/5 – 7/21) Originally, we panned on having a concrete patio around the pool and we ordered concrete coping forms with our kit. At some point we decided to extend our paver patio around the pool instead. Because of this we settled on pouring an 18” strip around the pool and stepping it down to provide a ledge for the pavers to sit on. The 18” strip with the 18” paver ledge allowed me to cover all the over dig areas to avoid any settling that may affect the pavers. From the 5th through the 21st I finished backfilling, set forms, tied the reinforcing matt and installed the bonding loop.

On pour day our concrete was over an hour late and we had an extremely hot load. It was setting up in the chute of the mixer and was unworkable. I originally ordered seven yards of concrete, we were able to place three yards and ended up sending the truck away and wasting four. I called back for four more yards and had them add two hours of set retarder. The rest of the pour when well.

During this time frame we also took a four day long camping and canoeing trip which took some of my time.

As an aside, I live an unincorporated area and the county I live in allows homeowners to do their own electrical work. You must pull a state permit and have the proper state electrical inspections done. Before placing the concrete, I had the state inspector come and inspect my pool bonding loop and passed with no issues. The inspector in my area is very helpful and will answer questions if you have them.

Equipment (7/22 – 7/27) During this time I set the equipment on the equipment pad, plumbed, and wired all the equipment to the subpanel.

Attachments

• 20210720_194515_resized.jpg
    20210720_194515_resized.jpg
    670.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210721_161252_resized.jpg
    20210721_161252_resized.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210727_061413_resized.jpg
    20210727_061413_resized.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 28
Electrical Service (7/28 – 8/5) During this time I trenched in conduit, pulled feeder cable, landed wire, installed breakers, outlets, switches, and wired the cover motor. On the 5th I had the electrical complete with the exception of the backorder light controller and had my final electrical inspection. The final electrical inspection went off without a hitch. We left that afternoon for a Friday at the amusement park.

Pool Fill and Startup (8/7 – 8/8) After returning Saturday morning from our short amusement park trip, I installed the wall foam and finished sweeping and a few odds and ends. By 5pm I was ready for the liner and my father came over again to help. We installed the liner and were ready for water by 7pm.

We have well water and while it tastes good it is very hard and high in iron. There is no way I could have run 19,000 gallons through our iron filter and softener, and I wouldn’t have wanted to pump that much anyways. I had the nearby town set a meter at a fire hydrant about a half mile from my house and borrowed a 1,000 gallon tank from a guy at work.

We got a tank of water and started filling the pool. Things were going well until my 3rd trip to the deep end to make sure there were not wrinkles. All the sudden I found myself surfing at a high rate of speed down the slope. When I reached the bottom my feet went out from under me. Lucky my right eyebrow broke my fall and it immediately swelled up and then started dripping blood. After closer inspection it probably could have used some glue maybe even a stitch. However, there weren’t any urgent cares open this late and without any symptoms of a concussion I’m not about to go to the ER for maybe one stich. I cleaned it up put a bandage on it to keep it closed and called it a night.

Sunday morning arrive and we resumed filling the pool. It took all day to haul 18,000 gallons of water but by around 6pm the pool was full, the skimmer, lights, and returns were cut in and we started installing the auto cover. We were finally done installing the cover around 8pm. Exhausted, I threw some chlorine pucks into the dispenser, kicked the pump on, did a quick check for leaks and called it a day.

Up and Running (8/9 – today) This week I have been testing and adjusting the pool chemistry and so fall all is going well. The water quickly warmed from 65 from the hydrant to around 80-83 depending on morning or evening.

And that wraps up the pool build. Hope you guys enjoyed.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20210807_191933_resized.jpg
    20210807_191933_resized.jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210811_192758.jpg
    20210811_192758.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Looks good! Doing that by yourself with 1 helper is impressive! I just finished a 20x40 vinyl liner…with a lot of help…I never could’ve done it solo + 1 helper. Nicely done!

Thanks TLark. There were a couple times when I thought, what did I get myself into? I had my list made in the order I wanted to do the tasks and kept focused on that instead of the macro view of a seeming endless amount of work. Eventually all the tasks were checked off and we could swim. In the end it took longer than I originally planned. Sometimes I overestimated the amount of work I could get done in a weekend or in the hours before sundown after work, sometime i underestimated the time it would take to do something. What can you do except move forward ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

Reactions: TLark
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.