Seeking help

Dorl

May 25, 2019
Florida
Hi All,

Hoping one of the pro's out there can help troubleshoot/ hopefully help us find a solution to our issue. We installed a an inground stock tank pool, we affectionately refer to it as our "adult kiddie pool." It's a 2 ft deep by 8ft round poly tank that we stuck in the ground. We priced a fiberglass pool, but the smallest plunge pool was $25k (out of our budget) so we went the DIY stock tank craze pool route.

To be clear, I initially plumbed everything up above ground before installing in ground to make sure everything was working. Initially, we were using an intex above ground pool pump that fairly quickly stopped priming on it's own (cheap pump, usually gravity fed, and I had to MacGyver everything even to get it to work initially, so I thought it may be shot).

Fast forward, I've now installed a real pump (Pentair superflo...I'm aware, so overkill, but variable speed was important given that ability to run at low speed considering size of "pool", as a regular pump would be too strong). My theory - the variable speed would be strong enough to prime but wouldn't turn the pool into a cyclone since it can run at low speeds.

Please keep in mind, this is a DYI project, a hillbilly hot tub, stock tank pool, or whatever you want to call it, so I'm well aware that it goes against the grain of a lot of thought likely on here, as it likely should, but pools are expensive. That said, I'm hoping someone is willing to give it a thought despite the unconventional set up. All and all, we love it and are optimistic we can find a solution. Pics attached. pool .jpg pool equip.jpg
pool equip2.jpg
Here's the run down...

suction side is run from factory fitting (drain line). It is a 1 inch fitting that immediately transitions to 1.5 inch pvc. All other plumbing is 1.5" except the initial transition fitting.
only 1 suction, only 1 return
pump is a pentair superflow variable speed
filter is a pentair rainbow spa filter
we also installed an inline jacuzzi type heater activated by an internal tab
the stem on the suction line attached to the 3 way valve was intended to serve as suction line attachment for pool cleaning hose
I don't have actual measurements at the moment but I don't think any of the runs are too short (other than the slip 90 that goes into the base of the filter)
We haven't pressure tested the lines but I don't think there are any leaks as we are not experiencing water loss
new pump is not priming.
I made sure to fill the pump basket and filter housing up with water before kicking on the pump
I shoved a garden house with higher pressure nozel up the suction line to push water through, and to check for any obstructions
made sure connections are tight, including lid of filter
I tried reducing flow on the return line by closing shutoff valve just a tad to see if that would do anything (to offset the reducer at the start of the suction line)
I could shorten the run from the top of the pump over to the filter by a foot on each side but not sure if that would make a difference

Bottom line, I can't get the pump to prime, when I fill the basket with water it just gets sucked out but doesn't not pull from the suction line. We've got a lot invested in this so hoping to find a solution other than plugging the suction line and running a new 1.5 line somewhere else. Obviously it involves taking up pavers but busting into concrete, re-routing plumbing, etc.

Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Based on what I see, I would try a couple things first. I would be sure the O-ring under the pump clear lid is lubed well. Then I would put a cap over that exposed vacuum stem just in case air is getting sucked into the line via the 3-way valve. Try those and let us know if it makes any difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.