Seeking advice for a new filter

xsmarc

Jul 30, 2014
Liberty Corner / NJ
Hello all,

I need to replace my 20+ years old DE filter (Hayward Micro-clear DE-4800).

I am looking for a bigger filter, easy to manage in terms of cleaning/backwashing, and the one that can filter a lot more water in less time. My pool is surrounded by trees and fair amount of debris fall in to it.

Having done some online research am leaning towards buying a bigger cartridge filter such as Hayward SwimClear Multi-Element C-7030 Expert line (SwimClear Multi-Element | Filters | In Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products).
Specs read: 725 sqft filteration area, 150gpm, 8 hr. turnover 72,000 gallons, cleanable cartridge, and no backwashing required.

The pool technician I use is a DE filter fan and against the idea of using cartridge filter. His argument is cartridge filter collect to much waste and difficult to manage overtime. I am not very convinced with that argument though.

Just for reference My other equipment is Hayward as well- super pump 1.5 hp, H400 FDN heater.

Thanks in advance- Marc

This is a challenging subject with many view points. I recently replaced my filter. I had a DE and I decided to replace it with a DE filter. Mine is a Pentair FNS 60 (60 sq ft) for a 14k gal pool. I have had very good success with it. I read many reviews of DE vs Sand vs Cartridge and in the end the DE had better ratings on overall filter performance (in my evaluation). There are many pros & cons to any of the 3 in addition to purchase price and maintenance costs. One additional point, I was able to keep my old filters so if I get a hole in the new one in the future, I already have almost a full set to replace. And finally before you make a decision, you want to look at your existing pipe work and space of your existing filter. How much replumbing will you need to do and will the large filter you want fit in this same space and allow you access to drain it, clean it, etc. Good Luck.

WOW.... I think a 700+sf cartridge filter would probably need cleaning maybe once a year!??! Assuming your chemistry was always good and you never have algae.

One can always add a bit of DE to a sand filter to make the water sparkle with DE benefits. Easy to clean and backwash.

If you're ever prone to algae or *pool neglect* I would *not* want a DE filter.

Just my two cents.

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Herman, Yippee, Flying T, and Oly.

Looks like two votes are for DE and two for sand. Most reviews do favor DE filter over others because the ability to pick up the smallest particles. However, I am also thinking about ease in maintenance.

Herman- existing pipes and spacing is also on my radar. Although I am being told if I buy Hayward filter it wouldn’t be too much of an issue as existing equipment is Hayward as well.

Oly - robotic cleaner is next in line 🙂

Thanks.

Reactions: Oly
I have the Hayward 4030 and like it a lot. I clean after spring pollen and usually near Oct but mainly because I am curious how dirty it is
I vote cartridge!

Also if I am removing iron and want super fine filtering a add jacks filter fiber. Works great and rinses off easy.

I have the Hayward 4030 and like it a lot. I clean after spring pollen and usually near Oct but mainly because I am curious how dirty it is
I vote cartridge!

Also if I am removing iron and want super fine filtering a add jacks filter fiber. Works great and rinses off easy.

Thanks Mark. I remember reading on one of these pool forums that people use a little bit of DE in cartridge filter for extra filtering. Was not aware of Jack’s filter fiber but good to know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.