Second Year Pool Person

Ray.Pyle

May 22, 2024
las vegas nevada
First year: algae that came back in a few days, cyanuric acid crazy high, dark spots/streaks on the plaster surface, chlorine that would disappear in a day, and a $20 test kit. At the end of the year I had a 'pro' drain the water and clean the surfaces with muriatic acid. Results were way better than I expected (the dark stuff was horrible and took extra effort and acid to get it gone). Looked great all winter. I want to keep it that way without paying others to do the work that is necessary. I just ordered a TF-Pro test kit and waiting for it to arrive. Took the water to L's and it was mostly good but over 3000 score on phosphates. Worked on that and got it down to 174 and am doing one more treatment today to get it lower. Cyanuric acid is at 88 though that appears to be acceptable (thought I saw somewhere range was 0-30 not 0-100). I am becoming convinced by my googling that using chlorine tabs may be causing the CYA reading to move higher? Clorox bleach at $5/gal, or pool formulated liquid chlorine from HD at $15/gal? Anyway, happy swimming!

Yes, tabs cause CYA rise.

Don't use Clorox bleach.

Search "Liquid Chlorine" on Walmart.com for your location...seems to be about the best prices.

Someone from Vegas will likely come around and give you some other sources.... maybe even @mknauss will weigh in...

Walmart is your best option. I am 100 miles south of Vegas
Your signature shows softened fill water. Do you have a way to fill the pool other than using the outside hose bib water, which in my house is not softened? The house water inside is softened, but the hose bib water is not. Is using softened fill water really important or nice to do? I imagine it impacts the calcium levels. In any case, have a great day!

I have a dedicated water softener for my pool. Interestingly, we do not have a water softener for the house!

I installed the softener in late 2020. I have not changed out water (except for small amounts to remove iron staining in the spa) since. My CH has gone from 250 ppm to 500 ppm now. So I will likely drain and refill (along with a full iron removal treatment) this fall.

Before the softened water, I drained the pool when my CH hit 1000 ppm. That took 16 months.