Second thoughts on putting in new AGP on slope ground

BigDreamer

Aug 14, 2022
Southern US
Hi all-

New to the forum, was lucky enough to find this place searching out real-world advice on pools.

Working getting a level spot for an AGP in my backyard. I realize the HIGHLY recommended method to dig into the higher ground, to bring it level with the lowest point. I had already started in a different direction, wondering the best way to work it from here without having to dig out.

Plan was putting in a retaining wall and building up on the low end. This is a 20' X23' area, for a 18' pool, slope is about 4 degrees. So started using 6x6 posts for the walls, secured with 12" spikes. Plan was to fill in with sand to bring the ground level. Starting to wonder how this is going to hold up over time, especially since I plan on keeping the pool up year round.

Please share your thoughts and recommendations on this, I would appreciate any input.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: You already understand that building "up" is generally not the ideal method, but some people have had decent success with minimal build-ups. But I don't think sand is a good product to use for that purpose. Sand is fine for the final top dressing and cushion underneath the liner, but if added over several inches won't hold-up to the weight. If you absolutely had to build up a few inches, I would look into a better base material like limestone or aggregate materials designed to compact and "lock" into place after being prepared with a plate compactor.

Pool Care Basics

Reactions: Bperry
I did exactly what you are describing and it held up perfectly well for 5 years until we sold the house. You can read about it here:

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You already understand that building "up" is generally not the ideal method, but some people have had decent success with minimal build-ups. But I don't think sand is a good product to use for that purpose. Sand is fine for the final top dressing and cushion underneath the liner, but if added over several inches won't hold-up to the weight. If you absolutely had to build up a few inches, I would look into a better base material like limestone or aggregate materials designed to compact and "lock" into place after being prepared with a plate compactor.

Pool Care Basics
Appreciate your quick response. That's good to know, thanks!

I did exactly what you are describing and it held up perfectly well for 5 years until we sold the house. You can read about it here:

Thanks for that- I saw your post before, so I was somewhat encouraged that this is still a workable situation.

Was debating putting in a base of aggregate (as Texas Splash suggested) on the lowest end. Thinking about all that sand heavily concentrated on one end, over the long term I've got to believe there will be an unacceptable level of settling/washout, which will require me to re-work at some point. That wouldn't be the end of the world, but since I am looking at putting deck around 75% of the pool...I want to avoid this if at all possible.

Great info about soaking down the material, not just for helping to settle- but it assisted in the leveling process as well. I've got time to spare on this, my goal is to have the pool ready for summer next year.

Reactions: jeffchap
My backyard slopes away from the house and we had it excavated for our first pool. A few years later and we attended a party where the homeowner had his pool elevated to meet the slope, he used retaining wall blocks for the wall. We never thought about it but it may have cost the same as what we paid.

I think it's a great idea as long as you do it correctly, I have no clue how to do it correctly. Are there codes you need to pass for the pool? If yes, maybe you speak to the code people to see what they recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.