Paxcou

Feb 10, 2020
NJ (shore)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I two months I will open my pool, still early in the season but my understanding is the sooner is the better to get the water quality back on track quicker with less chemicals to add to it.

I have a mesh cover and I have noticed that the water has a pretty high level (the mesh is touching the top of the water). Should I do something about it ?

Last year I vacuumed manually all season. I believe I did a good job but it was lot of work. What would you suggest to use to have a good result with minimum effort at a good price ?

Last September before closing I bought the kit to test the water myself, hoping to be more independent and save money. What would be the most helpful resources for me to look at in order to make sure I will do the test right, use the app right to calculate the chemicals I need to add to the water ? I want to make sure to not make any mistake

The system is using the Frog chlorine cartridge. I have heard different things : it's great, easy or it's bad because it add to much metal to the water. What would be the alternative ?

My idea is to take a good care of my pool and to do everything myself while making sure I don't overspend.

Thanks !

Taking care of you own pool is the best way. Using the right test kit is #1 as well. A few things from your notes above:
- Update your signature with your pool type and equipment. See mine as example.
- If your pool is vinyl lined, then you need to be careful of water overflowing behind the liner. As long as there is no ice shelf, consider a sump pump to lower the water level a bit.
- Use our Extended Test Kit Directions Archives - Trouble Free Pool to help you perform the water tests.
- The Frog system can add copper to your water. Don't use it. Once in the water, copper can can staining and other issues if the concentration gets high enough. If you don't have a salt water generator, simply use liquid pool chlorine (aka regular bleach) to increase the FC level. Simple and no side effects.

Refer to and save those Vital Links in my signature as well. If you have any other questions about pool care or opening in preparation for the spring, let us know.

Reactions: Paxcou
What would be the most helpful resources for me to look at in order to make sure I will do the test right, use the app right to calculate the chemicals I need to add to the water ? I want to make sure to not make any mistake

More reading on doing testing right...

The system is using the Frog chlorine cartridge. I have heard different things : it's great, easy or it's bad because it add to much metal to the water. What would be the alternative ?

The alternative is maintaining your FC/CYA ratio following the FC/CYA Levels. As Splash said, the Frog Cartridge just adds unnecessary mineral and metals to your pool that can lead to staining. It does little to prevent algae or sanitize your pool water. It does lighten your wallet.

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Paxcou
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.