Second Return and Fountain for Intex Pool

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Hi Everyone :wave:
I went ahead and made my first mod to my Intex pool. :party: I created a second return and added a fountain. I used the idea from this post for the fountain http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-water-relief-in-an-intex-pool-t24483.html and this idea of using 1.5 PVC pipe added to the Intex pool fittings http://www.troublefreepool.com/intex-pools-this-is-how-to-run-the-skim-and-main-together-t25132.html. I combined both of the ideas into one contraption :whoot:. The sand filter/pump has more than enough power to run the fountain and second return.

* NOTE * All pipe and fittings are 1.5" PVC.

* Construction *

1. I took a four way fitting and added it to the Intex thru wall fitting.
2. I then added an addapter to alow a .5" pool eyeball for the top return.
3. I then added two ball valves to control the flow to the bottom return and the fountain.
4. After the top ball valve I added a tee and two 12" pipes extending out each side with end caps.
5. After the bottom ball valve I added a 26" pipe and 90' elbow with another .5" pool eyball.

* Function *

The contraption works by turning the ball valves. To control the fountain I just close the bottom valve to the bottom return to create more presure for the fountain. I then open the top ball valve to turn on the fountain. That is it. :party:

* NOTE *

The top return is always flowing water even with the fountain on.

Below are some pictures of the contraption mounted to the pool and running.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Enjoy!!!

Mark

That's pretty cool. I love tinkering with things like that. I have a couple questions if you will indulge me. Did you carve out the threaded strainer connector/through the wall fitting to allow the 4-way fitting to fit? Is that eyeball a stock pvc item or was it a special order or pool store item? Thanks!

gayler said:
Do you have much trouble with the salt water chlorinator? I've had to replace mine twice.
Once I got my water chemistry correct I have had no trouble with it. If you are having troubles try reading this article in pool school. If you have the intex SWG you can't change the percentage setting on it like the article talks about.

thats pretty cool. When I made the one for the intake I was struggling with how to do a fountain. The angle of the soft side pools is testing my creativity. Right now my pool is green as grass, LOl..
Im planning on draining it and do some work to the ground to smooth it out a bit. This is going to make me want to make a fountain for sure now while Im working on it.

good job!

foster400 said:
thats pretty cool. When I made the one for the intake I was struggling with how to do a fountain. The angle of the soft side pools is testing my creativity. Right now my pool is green as grass, LOl..
Im planning on draining it and do some work to the ground to smooth it out a bit. This is going to make me want to make a fountain for sure now while Im working on it.

good job!

Thanks for the reply. :wave:

I have taken down this pool and will be putting up a bigger Intex this year. I will be using the same setup for the new pool. Checkout this thread. It is showing my renovation of the backyard.

Texan78 said:
I think they may have changed the return fittings since this was done. Mine looks nothing like that. How do you get it to fit the return fitting?
The return fittings are still the same. What questions do you have about the fittings? The fittings you see have been modified but started out ar the standard Intex fittings.

:cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I noticed your fitting is threaded at the base on the inside similar to the skimmer side. Mine isn't threaded. When I get home tonight I will take a pic and post it so you can see and get a better understanding. I love the idea and would like to add a fountain but not seeing how with the return fitting I have.

I got home late after dinner after the sun had already gone down. So this isn't really a good pic but you can get a idea. I will take a better one tomorrow. As you can see it is different then yours. If this is the same one, what exactly did you do to make the PVC fit it?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307501025.662007.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1307501025.662007.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 6,175
Texan78 said:
Here is a better pic during the day. As you can see it doesn't have a threaded base. What did you do to make it fit?
You have the same fitting as do. You have to unscrew the return cover off of the fitting. Not just the the little return ball but the whole cover. Once you take the cover off you will have to pry off another screen then you can add the 4 way PVC fitting to the Intex fitting.

Ah ok that makes more sense now. I had a feeling that might have been the case but wasn't sure. I tried to unscrew it a couple times but it is on there good so then thought maybe it doesn't unscrew. When you unscrew that top piece will it come free from the liner or is that just a piece that is screwed onto the fitting?

-Thanks

HI

I was so happy to see that someone finally figured out how to make a fountain for the intex pools!!!! :party: HUGE THANKS :goodjob:

I ran across your post the other day and had to make me one, so that day I went to my local hardware store and bought all the items you listed and I took along the pictures you posted so they could see what I was wanting to do. I had to make a few adjustments because I don't have a big pump like you do. I kept the 2" 4 way then I reduced everything else down to a 1 1/2", on the bottom return I had to hook in a 2" adapter so the pool eye would fit correctly.. They only come in a 2" size so I didn't have much other choice. I now wish I would have went down to a 1" cause the pressure is a lil lower than I would like. Nothing that I can't deal with. :goodjob:

18'x48" Intex metal round frame
Intex 2000 GPH SWG

stacey81881 said:
HI

I was so happy to see that someone finally figured out how to make a fountain for the intex pools!!!! :party: HUGE THANKS :goodjob:

I ran across your post the other day and had to make me one, so that day I went to my local hardware store and bought all the items you listed and I took along the pictures you posted so they could see what I was wanting to do. I had to make a few adjustments because I don't have a big pump like you do. I kept the 2" 4 way then I reduced everything else down to a 1 1/2", on the bottom return I had to hook in a 2" adapter so the pool eye would fit correctly.. They only come in a 2" size so I didn't have much other choice. I now wish I would have went down to a 1" cause the pressure is a lil lower than I would like. Nothing that I can't deal with. :goodjob:

18'x48" Intex metal round frame
Intex 2000 GPH SWG
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you were able to follow my pics and description.
Start a different topic with some pictures of you modification and I will add the topic to this thread Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners.

I was trying to figure out myself how to remove the outer screen on the adjustable nozzle/inlet...the fountain I bought has a 1 1/2 inch threaded end, so even if I am able to get the screen off the opening looks way to big for the fountain I have. I hope this makes since and really hope someone can offer some advice

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.