Seal or not my flagstone coping

mlggator

Bronze Supporter
Jul 18, 2020
Carlsbad, CA
I have quartzite flagstone coping. When dry it looks very dull and not very colorful. When wet, it is beautiful. We will also be incorporating flagstone into parts of the decking. It has been suggested to me to that if I seal the flagstone, it will get the same darker look that would pull the color variations out.

What is everyone's opinion of sealing the quartzite flagstone. Will this produce the look I am going for or not? I do know it has be maintained every year or two.

Let me know if you need pictures of my coping.

Did a quick search on this forum (above in the blue area) on your topic. Here are some links:

Obviously I don't have flagstone so I have no clue. From what I understand, the sealer protects the stone from stains. If you have a salt water pool, it'd be good to seal it. Maybe a youtube video has your answers. ?? Good luck!

We have flagstone and did a matte stone sealer that enhances color. So it looks wet all the time, but is not shiny or slippery. The water beads on top of it. We love the look of it - it was mostly gray before but with the sealer the oranges, greens, blacks, and browns are visible. The company that did it has a five year warranty and will come out and reseal anytime water stops beading or the colors begin to fade.

I vote against sealing. I spent decent money on a highly rated sealant, Dupont StoneTech® Professional Enhancer Pro™ Sealer , ($145 per gallon) and within months the my flagstone looked pretty much like it did before sealing. That was eight years ago. my flagstone today looks just as good as it did when it was installed.

Reactions: BowserB
We have flagstone and did a matte stone sealer that enhances color. So it looks wet all the time, but is not shiny or slippery. The water beads on top of it. We love the look of it - it was mostly gray before but with the sealer the oranges, greens, blacks, and browns are visible. The company that did it has a five year warranty and will come out and reseal anytime water stops beading or the colors begin to fade.
Is your company local or national?

What exactly did you use please? My stone is falling apart. I need help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.