Scumball Turning Red/Orange

jtr8178

Jul 18, 2020
South Carolina
I own a pool, along with a stand-alone hot tub. I follow the methods here over the last several years, and have been successful at keeping things within spec.
The problem is my hot tub (1.5 years old), around 500 gallons. We only use it on the weekends at our cabin, and not even that much now since it is so hot out here in South Carolina.

It was coming up on our quarterly drain/clean/refill, and I always have a scumball floating around while we are gone during the week. It has really helped keep the spa water lines clean while we are gone each week. This week I came back, and our scumball was 100% saturated and bright red/orange. Like a rust color. I've never seen that before usually it just has a ring around it or hardly anything. I threw it away, and threw another scumball in it. It immediatly turned the same color. I decided to just do my quarterly scrubdown, drain, refill, etc...

Upon refilling, I threw in some bleach and baking soda since I knew I need to start with that each time. I also threw the scumball in there to see, and low and behold it was bright red/orange again. We are on well water, so I thought maybe I have an issue there. I filled up one of our bathtubs, threw a fresh scumball in it, and it isn't getting orange at all. I'm going to test the water coming out of the hose I use to refill just to be 100% sure I can cross that off the list.

I'm still balancing the chemicals for the refill, so I'll post those numbers here in a couple hours, but I can say that everything was in balance before the drain.

If I didn't have a scumball turning orange, I wouldn't even be looking for a problem right now.... so not sure how big of a deal this is. Image of the scumballs attached. They are completely saturated.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 26
D8D1F74D-6A0C-4863-B8A6-56614C973DB5.jpeg
both my new ones did this in less than 24 hrs as well. I ordered from spa depot since the all the scum bugs/balls had reviews about them doing this & being counterfeit on amazon. The foam also feels more like a nerf ball. Not sure its really even doing anything- the one in the pool did this as well. I guess they have changed the material. I won’t be buying more.

Well, I feel better now! I thought perhaps there were some Amazon counterfeits or something going on, as that is where I buy mine from. Didn't have a problem until today.

I did run to Home Depot to get some test kits for iron & copper on the off chance, and all my home water and spa water are right where they should be. Looks like I'll be complaining to Amazon and trying to find an official distributor to buy these from. I did contact the manufacturer on their Facebook page as well.

I have had great experiences with spa depot in the past so I truly think the manufacturing may have changed 😩
Checked my local mom & pop but they had no scumball/scumbugs ☹️

I have had great experiences with spa depot in the past so I truly think the manufacturing may have changed 😩
Checked my local mom & pop but they had no scumball/scumbugs ☹

I chatted with them on Facebook, and they gave me the owners email address. I hit him up, and he said they have changed nothing. They sent me a free 2-pack, and they are the "normal" ones. I think it was Spa Depot sending out some fakes/knock offs.

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
I chatted with them on Facebook, and they gave me the owners email address. I hit him up, and he said they have changed nothing. They sent me a free 2-pack, and they are the "normal" ones. I think it was Spa Depot sending out some fakes/knock offs.
i will try this too! Thank’s! I really miss the effectiveness of them as i have small tub & any oil on your skin shows up quickly as a sheen on the water. In the pool they really help with the sunscreen.

Update! @jtr8178 Rolled the dice & Reordered rolachem scumbugs on Amazon - they feel,look, & function just as my original beloved ones. So glad! The last ones lasted well over a year- 1 in the pool & 1 in the hot tub. Hopefully these will fare the same. 6C968736-48D3-4BED-A3A0-8FA1514D9923.jpeg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.