Scum layer on viny. Need help with something that works

ChaosChris

Sep 17, 2012
Hi everyone, we opened our pool this year to find the scum layer really darkened over the winter season with the cover on. We noticed it getting worse and worse last season with high use of the pool. My wife loads up the kids with sunscreen since I have very fair skinned little ones. In return this has happened. I tried cleaning it at the end of last season but was not coming off. I always run a scrubber in the skimmer to try and collect the oils too. I tried some cleaning stuff from the pool store and it actually started to take the colour out of the liner. Need your help on a product that would penetrate this and remove it. It looks awful, makes the pool look dirty and need to get ride of it. I am hoping it is not permanent. I am pretty sure it is from oils and sunscreen. Anyone else have this issue and been able to clean it off with something that works? Hoping there is a spray or something that can be put on and left for a bit to break it down then wipe off. See attached photo's. Thanks in advance for any help from you pro's.

20230521_162735.jpg20230521_162709.jpg

Tried the Vitamin C woth not much luck. Also tried the Magoc Eraser very softly and dis not see much difference. When you use the Magic Eraser does the water have to be dropped for it to scrub properly? I was rubbing in water since the water is high in the pool now. I heard people say Clean & Perfect spray finally worked for them may order a bottle of that and give it a try. So frustrating.

I use Simple Green in my skimmer when I get a film of sunscreen, etc. Might try that.

Ahh-some makes a spray cleaner. I never tried it for your purposes, but it works very well on waterline scum in a hot tub (and is fine to get in your water - chemically speaking)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi everyone, we opened our pool this year to find the scum layer really darkened over the winter season with the cover on. We noticed it getting worse and worse last season with high use of the pool. My wife loads up the kids with sunscreen since I have very fair skinned little ones. In return this has happened. I tried cleaning it at the end of last season but was not coming off. I always run a scrubber in the skimmer to try and collect the oils too. I tried some cleaning stuff from the pool store and it actually started to take the colour out of the liner. Need your help on a product that would penetrate this and remove it. It looks awful, makes the pool look dirty and need to get ride of it. I am hoping it is not permanent. I am pretty sure it is from oils and sunscreen. Anyone else have this issue and been able to clean it off with something that works? Hoping there is a spray or something that can be put on and left for a bit to break it down then wipe off. See attached photo's. Thanks in advance for any help from you pro's.

View attachment 494720View attachment 494721
ChaosChris - did you have any luck with the Clean & Perfect? Or anything else? I get these same stains on my waterline and it is definitely only where the sun hits our liner - no issues on the south side of the pool where the sun never hits. I am on my 2nd liner with this issue, and as you said the only way I have been able to remove the stain also removed the liner's color (scrubbing with various different products). I live in Iowa so also a colder climate, and we use Bioguard products - not sure if it has anything to do with the chemicals we use or perhaps with our alkalinity or ph sometimes getting out of wack for too long? TIA!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.