Scrubbing and Loosening Algae before Slam

Jul 26, 2012
Hello to Fellow TFP's BBB method buddies :) Thank you for everything and supporting us in our 8th year now! Again this year opened up to a green pool . Not as bad as last year, but the same thing happened-The cover fell into the pool over the winter without us noticing for awhile with all the nastiness and water on it! Bad Luck I guess. So here we are again. It doesn't look as bad as last year, but oh boy you need patience with algae for sure.

My question is :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Should we scrub the sliminess-sides and bottom to loosen up before we put the bleach in? I am also putting CYA in cuz it was not reading any (or less than 30) Just put everything in at once? Bring to a 12? I forget? :confused:

We are turning the pump right now. There wasn't much debris in it. We either scrub now, or not for another 24 hours to start.

Have one question Please? :mrgreen:

Hi, I'm back after ? lots of this too ?‍? and now we have this ?:paddle: Well we aren't swimming yet, but close. We are in the "letting the chlorine levels come down" stage.
It is a an 8.5 FC and .5 CC currently. Passed the tests. We seem to struggle with highish PH (between 7.8-8.2 mark). My alkalinity reading is 150. Dang I just hate putting MA in the pool. My thoughts if it is dangerous to handle, it still is dangerous in pool.... I know it is way diluted, but still. So need to do that still.

My question is about the CYA >>>>>>>

I will need to put in CYA, it is at 25 this morning, but how long after you put it in do you have an accurate reading (pucks just finished dissolving)? I remember reading you should test after a week of adding it for a accuracy?

Thanks all you fellow BBBers Love the method! After this season I just might be schooled enough in this method and pools to actually help someone here :wink: I know I am slow :hammer:

You can swim if you want. No issues.

Muriatic acid is needed to lower pH. Use normal precautions when adding. Once in the pool, it reacts to primarily salt, so it is not dangerous once mixed in. Only takes 15 minutes or so with pump on for it to be completely dispersed.

You cannot measure a CYA of 25. Round up. So your CYA is 30. If you want to raise it to 40, that is fine. Put 10 ppm worth of CYA in a thin sock and hang in front of the return.

Once you start dissolving the CYA, follow the FC/CYA Levels for FC based on your targeted CYA.

The acid will react with the alkalinity in the water and end up neutralized. Like vinegar and baking soda but so diluted you won't see it fizz and froth. You won't be swimming in acid.

Once the CYA is totally dissolved, any time after 48 hours will give you an accurate reading. It will almost certainly read right after 24, but beyond 48 it can be trusted for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.