ScreenLogic update for ios

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
You all see the update for screenlogic? Totally new look. You can control ur pump speeds like on the computer now if u want to ramp up or down from a program. Has error messages also. Pretty nice update. Not sure about android update. I’ll do it tonight. Was a nice suprise when I went into it today. Don’t know if the Apple Watch was updated either. That’s tonight also.

Really nice update. Just refreshing if nothing else, it's nice to get a facelift, but looks like some really nice added functionality as well. Seems a few things that were only available on the PC/Mac app or panel have now been incorporated. Just a few things I've noticed - this is all on iOS.

1 - I like the dark theme, makes it easy on the eyes.
2 - Great new fonts and better "HD" if you will using better fonts and sizes.
3 - Very nice initial menu/dashboard. Outside temp, pool and spa temp all available on one screen as well as one touch to any other section i.e. lights, pump, schedules, etc.
4 - Great new Pumps section, adjust speed from the app. See immediately how fast your pump is running and how much power it is consuming.
5 - Schedules - you can now delete a schedule from the app, this was not previously available.
6 - Egg timers are now available from the app, all fully adjustable.
7- System Delays - The cleaner delay is the only one I'm aware of, but you can now override that from the app. This used to strictly only be available from the panel itself. I guess this is for safety, but I hate this delay. I guess I could make the circuit something besides "Cleaner" - but at least I can override now without going to the panel.

Those are the initial items I've found and noticed. Overall I'm very pleased and really like it. Again, just a nice refresh, but also some really good added functionality from the app that wasn't previously available.

Only bad note, seems the history is a little slow to load, but otherwise seems very well tested, no bugs or issues found so far after a couple of days use.

I had the same issue with the history. I updated the protocol adapter to the latest firmware and the history loads much quicker now.

I used to check once in a while to see if there was new firmware for the protocol adapter and there never was, so quit checking. Hadn't thought about maybe some new firmware for that as well. Will have to go check it out later today and update if necessary.

A very much needed/overdue/appreciated update, for sure. Not yet mentioned was a huge one for me: the iPad version is now in parity with the iPhone version. It was anemic before, but now, at first glance, seems to be able to do everything the iPhone can do. Yay, Pentair.

So far my only issue is that stupid temperature adjusting dial. This is software engineering at its worst, form over function. Losing sight of the number you're adjusting because of the finger you're adjusting it with is a fail. But that's a small price to pay for the rest of the update.

The HD graphics and fonts are a relief. And they no longer hide access to the rest of the app behind that stupid fish/icon/logo button. Man was that bad. Much more user friendly now. Much more info. Much more functionality. All good!

Now I look at ScreenLogic on my computer and want it updated even more than I did! Come on, Pentair, you're almost there!!

Gotta go check on my PA's firmware now, thanks for that tip!

I'm surprised the app doesn't notify when an alert occurs. I have to log into the app and check the section before I know an issue has occurred. It would be much better if, say my SWG flow isn't adequate, an alert was provided on my phone's screen so I'd know to check what is happening.

I'm surprised the app doesn't notify when an alert occurs. I have to log into the app and check the section before I know an issue has occurred. It would be much better if, say my SWG flow isn't adequate, an alert was provided on my phone's screen so I'd know to check what is happening.

Welcome to the world of Pentair interface/software engineering.

I believe, though, that you can receive alerts via email, if that's configured. I'm going to set that up if it's possible, I'll post back if I figure it out.

Hmmm, I just checked and mine is configured, too, though I didn't get any email alerts for my recent SWG failures. Yes an iOS badge would be a nice feature, with or without a working email alert system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WIDGET!!!

If you haven't found it yet...

The envelope icon at the top of the new interface leads you to a message about the new versions (iPhone and iPad). There's some good info in there, for various hardware configurations. But one of the notes announces the new widget for iOS. HUGE!!! (For me, anyway.)

I'm still testing it, but the widget gives me a status update for a handful of things, which are mostly what I'm after when logging in remotely. I'm still testing to see if the widget logs in while not on WiFi without all the hassle of the button pressing I have to do in the app while away. One of my gripes about the app is that it can't figure out that I'm not on WiFi and automatically attempt to log in remotely. It'll be great if the widget can do that.

Unfortunately... The widget reports that your pump is running by turning the color of the "Pool temp" number green. FAIL. I found out about that "feature" in the message note, which in and of itself is a fail, because if you have to explain something so basic about your interface in a note, then you didn't design your interface correctly! The green text is nearly impossible to read on the widget's grey background. Further compounded by the fact that font is "regular" when the other readings, like the SWG's "Pool Output" or "Salt level" are in a nice black, bold font. Uhg. So close Pentair.

The temperature items report "Last" as they do elsewhere in ScreenLogic interfaces, indicating the pump is off and that the temperature reading applies to the last time the pump was running. That would have been enough of an indicator about pump status for me. Or a nice green dot, or icon indicating "pump on." But no, they went with skinny, green text. I wonder if Pentair has a way to report this, for maybe a fix in the next version. The pool temp is really all I'm after most of the time!

Good find on the details of the Widget, etc. I saw the email, but didn't look into the details. I've updated the brick and downloaded new Mac software as well. Guess all good to go for the summer now.

The only thing negative I'll say has already been mentioned. The circle for temp selection is a bit crazy, typical iOS scroll wheel would have been so much better.

Good find on the details of the Widget, etc. I saw the email, but didn't look into the details. I've updated the brick and downloaded new Mac software as well. Guess all good to go for the summer now.

The only thing negative I'll say has already been mentioned. The circle for temp selection is a bit crazy, typical iOS scroll wheel would have been so much better.

I was disappointed to discover that the latest version for the brick and the computer software actually came out late last year. So it's not a new release to compliment this iOS update. I had installed it last December, so nothing new for me. It was actually nothing new last year, just bug fixes. So that interface is still a dog.

But I'm hoping that's a blessing in disguise, and that they're just about to release a new computer version. One that would be in parity with the iOS stuff. One can wish...

I was disappointed to discover that the latest version for the brick and the computer software actually came out late last year. So it's not a new release to compliment this iOS update. I had installed it last December, so nothing new for me. It was actually nothing new last year, just bug fixes. So that interface is still a dog.

But I'm hoping that's a blessing in disguise, and that they're just about to release a new computer version. One that would be in parity with the iOS stuff. One can wish...

Same with you - disappointed it wasn't even better. And hope you are right about a new desktop version. I will say this though, I'm just glad this version runs well on the Mac, they've not had good success there, so that is a nice plus.

I wondered if there was maybe something in all of these updates leading up to their whole next generation of automation and equipment. There have been rumors for several years about their next generation of panels and gear coming out, but I haven't heard anything of that other than what was reported on these boards last year, which wasn't much.

That's interesting about the widget. The first thing I did when the iOS app updated was look for a widget but it didn't exist then (or wasn't showing up). I wonder if this was a minor update since a few weeks ago because I see the widget now.

Same with you - disappointed it wasn't even better. And hope you are right about a new desktop version. I will say this though, I'm just glad this version runs well on the Mac, they've not had good success there, so that is a nice plus.

I wondered if there was maybe something in all of these updates leading up to their whole next generation of automation and equipment. There have been rumors for several years about their next generation of panels and gear coming out, but I haven't heard anything of that other than what was reported on these boards last year, which wasn't much.

Oh, man, don't get me started on this Mac version. It's a PC port, and it's awful. But you're right, at least there is a Mac version.

I know nothing of new panels. And maybe I don't want to know. ;)

I like the update, but now I can't pull up my history. I just get the spinning wheel in the top right corner. Let it sit there for 3-4 min and it never loads. Also when using screenlogic from my PC, it connects, but I get nothing but a black window where I used to have buttons to click and temps and settings. Is there something that needs to be updated so I can see these things again?

I had something similar happen, but before the iOS update. Powering down the brick, forcing a reboot of it, was the fix. My brick is hard-wired to my ET, so I made the mistake of unplugging the connector from the brick, when I should have shut down the whole ET, to avoid any shorts along the com wire or its ports. The comm wire is basically connected to everything, so I should have been more careful, however low the risk. If your brick is connected via the wireless interface, then maybe that wouldn’t be an issue. Anyway, reboot some or all of the components of your automation system and see if that clears things up...

You should also determine if your brick has the latest firmware. Which can be updated if not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.