Screenlogic Protocol Adapter unable to get IP from my router

Crestone

Jun 26, 2023
Austin
I am a new pool owner in Austin, TX

I bought a Pentair Screenlogic protocol adapter that was in its original packaging from FB Marketplace which as per the seller was never used. There was an Easytouch Wireless controller with antenna that stopped working (apparently the controller has bricked) and I needed another way to remotely control the pool systems.

1) Wired it into the Pentair COM port terminals using the same 4-wire cable that was originally connected to the Easytouch antennae

2) Screenlogic adapter's RJ45 ethernet port is connected to a in-wall ethernet jack in the back patio that is connected to an 8-port switch on a Spectrum Wifi Router. I have successfully tested the ethernet wall jack for connectivity using my laptop.

3) Reset the Screenlogic protocol adapter using a paper clip by pressing the reset button three times.

Here is the problem: No IP is assigned by the router. I do not see the adapters Mac address or assigned IP on the router's device listing. From the dozens of posts I read on this site, this is mostly due to the default subnet of the adapter not matching with my router's subnet. I tried the following:

1) reset and power cycled everything multiple times in vain

2) tried the procedure described by someone using a Windows laptop manually configured with a 192.168.2.X IP and directly connected to the adapter but the laptop cannot ping the adapter's default IP 192.168.2.2.

3) Tried using the firmware updater but it cannot see the adapter either.

I can try to create a separate network but what subnet range should I be using? If the protocol adapter after resetting uses DHCP, why should it care which subnet range is trying to get IP from?

What am I doing wrong? Am i working with a "bricked" brick? Can someone think of another method to make this work?

Welcome to TFP.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong.

The PA is old and quirky and the paper clip 3 press reset sometimes does not reset the PA to release its IP address and use DHCP to get a new IP.

You can try various of the commonly used ip network ranges and an IP Scanner like this and see if the PA responds to a ping from the scanner...

I had an issue with mine where when I initially installed it where I couldn't get it to obtain an address either. As Allen mentioned, the reset procedure seemed fruitless. I couldn't get one from a managed or unmanaged switch. I did the reset procedure, removed it from power and let it set for about an hour and then plugged it directly into a LAN port on my modem and it worked. From there, I reset it again and into my switched and it has worked since with zero issues.

It does seem to be a troubled device, for sure. I think a little patience is required though. I don't know, but I suspect it processes information a little slower than modern DHCP servers communicate which causes it to miss its assignment. I could be completely wrong though. You might consider powering it up and letting it set for a while to settle before connecting it to the LAN port. Maybe?

Thank you Allen and Shawn for your replies.

Allen. I downloaded the advanced scanner software but which network should the laptop be configured on? I was on the Wifi (same network as the adapter if it had gotten an IP from my router). The scan did not find anything in addition to the known devices on my network. I then connected a laptop directly to the adapter and then configured the laptop to 192.168.2.X. Scanned 192.168.SS.NN - 192..168.SS.254 where I varied SS from 2 - 20 than ran out of patience. Nothing was found

Shawn, you mention "plugged it directly into a LAN port on my modem and it worked.". How did you do that?
Did you locate the adapter near the pool panel where it got the power from the COM port and then an ethernet cable directly to your modem?

You just have to keep trying address ranges and see if you get lucky.

Why didn’t you try 192.168.0.X and 192.168.1.X?

Non routable IP address ranges are:
  • 10.0.0.0/8 ( Range: 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 )
  • 172.16.0.0/12 ( Range: 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 )
  • 192.168.0.0/16 ( Range: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 )
These IP addresses are reserved for private networks, interior gateway protocols will route these address spaces within network. Non-routable address space allows for nodes to communicate with each other on same network. Since every computer need not be connected to every other computer on Internet, non-routable address spaces can be used locally in various private networks.

Did you locate the adapter near the pool panel where it got the power from the COM port and then an ethernet cable directly to your modem?
My protocol adapter is in my structured media cabinet with a wireless extender as well as my switches and modem.

Allen has way more experience with these things than I do, so he's likely to steer you in the right direction. My solution worked for me and was meant more as antidotal.

You just have to keep trying address ranges and see if you get lucky.

Why didn’t you try 192.168.0.X and 192.168.1.X?

Non routable IP address ranges are:
  • 10.0.0.0/8 ( Range: 10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255 )
  • 172.16.0.0/12 ( Range: 172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255 )
  • 192.168.0.0/16 ( Range: 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255 )
These IP addresses are reserved for private networks, interior gateway protocols will route these address spaces within network. Non-routable address space allows for nodes to communicate with each other on same network. Since every computer need not be connected to every other computer on Internet, non-routable address spaces can be used locally in various private networks.

It took me a while to get around to this due to travel and other home stuff but here is what I tried a few days ago:

Hardwired a standalone wifi router to my existing router with network (192.16.1.x). Configured it with DHCP settings from the private IP ranges (and more) you have suggested:
Router IP : 10.0.0.1 and DHCP range from 10.0.0.2 - 10.0.0.254 ; subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router IP : 172.16.0.1 and DHCP range from 172.16.0.2 - 172.16.0.254 ; subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router IP : 192.168.0.1 and DHCP range from 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 ; subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Router IP : 192.168.2.1 and DHCP range from 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254 ; subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Hardwired the Screenlogic2 adapter using an ethernet cable to the above router.

Reset the adapter atleast a dozen times using the three-press method with varying pauses in between

The green LED on the network port of the adapter is lit solid and the amber light is flashing

Joined a Windows laptop to the wifi ssid on this router

Used Advanced IP Scanner tool with a file populated with several IP ranges.

The tool ran for few hours and found nada, nothing :-(

Any other ideas?

I am going to call Pentair tech support tomorrow for a last ditch effort to figure out how I can get this un-bricked. I will update my progress here.

Update 10/25/23:
Called Pentair tech support - in fact I was pleasantly surprised to find out how helpful they were. I learnt something that may be useful for others on this forum.

The Screenlogic adapter must have a firmware version of 5.2.736 or above for the reset functionality to work. Previous firmware versions (my device was 5.2.734) does NOT support resetting to clear its IP settings, so don't keep trying. Earlier firmware versions has a static IP address baked in which the updater can find but unfortunately they could not tell me what it was. They shared with me that the last time this specific device talked to their gateway server was in 2016 with IP address 10.189.254.21 which sounded like the ISP gateway IP of the previous owner.

They instructed me to install the firmware updater on a Windows laptop (no support for later Mac OS versions). This laptop was on the same private network I configured to connect the adapter. Unfortunately the adapter still did not show up in firmware updater window.

Update 10/25/23:
Called Pentair tech support - in fact I was pleasantly surprised to find out how helpful they were. I learnt something that may be useful for others on this forum.

The Screenlogic adapter must have a firmware version of 5.2.736 or above for the reset functionality to work. Previous firmware versions (my device was 5.2.734) does NOT support resetting to clear its IP settings, so don't keep trying. Earlier firmware versions has a static IP address baked in which the updater can find but unfortunately they could not tell me what it was. They shared with me that the last time this specific device talked to their gateway server was in 2016 with IP address 10.189.254.21 which sounded like the ISP gateway IP of the previous owner.

They instructed me to install the firmware updater on a Windows laptop (no support for later Mac OS versions). This laptop was on the same private network I configured to connect the adapter. Unfortunately the adapter still did not show up in firmware updater window.

Thanks for that explanation why some folks can't get the 3 button push to work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.