Ca
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello all, My new pool has been up and running for a few months now and I've got the chemicals balanced nicely and the water is crystal clear thanks to this site. Unfortunately, I cant seem to get my Pentair system to behave. My panel says Easytouch PL4/PLS4 and i'm using the screenlogic app on my android phone. Here are my issues, any time I make a manual change via the app the next schedule will not run and I lose communication with my intelliflo pump. My PB already replaced the panel with a new one and has not been responsive to my continued issues. It seems like after 24 hours or so the pump will reconnect and go back to the schedule but it seems really lame that if I turn my light on and off my schedule wont run. The only other information I have that seems odd is that my pool does not have an AUX 3 but for seem reason if I push Aux 3 then Pool sometimes my pump will reconnect. Any help or thoughts are appreciated and if you need more info let me know. I've read lots of threads on screenlogic and have tried a few things but none have resolved my issue.

A,

Keep in mind that ScreenLogic is just like your keyboard is to your PC. It is just a way to enter data. The EasyTouch is where everything happens.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that you have a "lite" version of the EasyTouch. This means that you only have 4 schedules max and that includes any egg-timers not set to the default of 12 hours. The problem is that ScreenLogic will let you enter a billion schedules, and it never tells you that they won't work.

So, how many schedules do you have, and are all your egg-timers set to 12 hours??

As you know your pump is controlled by an RS-485 serial bus cable. All speeds and run times are controlled by the EasyTouch. The pump itself should be connected to constant 240-volt AC power. We often see idiots wire the IntelliFlo to the Load side (output) of the Pump/Filter relay. Doing this will cause the EasyTouch to think it has lost communications anytime the system is not in the Pool or Spa modes.

As a quick test, you can but the system into the "Service" mode using the Mode button on the main panel. Wait about 30 seconds to a minute and then look at the pump's display. If the display is blank, then your pump is not wired correctly. Either way, use the Mode button and put the system back into "Auto" mode. Then look at the pump's display again and see if it shows "Display not active" It should.

Let me know the results of the above tests.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A,

Keep in mind that ScreenLogic is just like your keyboard is to your PC. It is just a way to enter data. The EasyTouch is where everything happens.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that you have a "lite" version of the EasyTouch. This means that you only have 4 schedules max and that includes any egg-timers not set to the default of 12 hours. The problem is that ScreenLogic will let you enter a billion schedules, and it never tells you that they won't work.

So, how many schedules do you have, and are all your egg-timers set to 12 hours??

As you know your pump is controlled by an RS-485 serial bus cable. All speeds and run times are controlled by the EasyTouch. The pump itself should be connected to constant 240-volt AC power. We often see idiots wire the IntelliFlo to the Load side (output) of the Pump/Filter relay. Doing this will cause the EasyTouch to think it has lost communications anytime the system is not in the Pool or Spa modes.

As a quick test, you can but the system into the "Service" mode using the Mode button on the main panel. Wait about 30 seconds to a minute and then look at the pump's display. If the display is blank, then your pump is not wired correctly. Either way, use the Mode button and put the system back into "Auto" mode. Then look at the pump's display again and see if it shows "Display not active" It should.

Let me know the results of the above tests.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I have one schedule for my pool it is 8am-5pm everyday and one for my cleaner to run 830am-11:30am everyday. I have no other schedules and am not sure what an egg timer is vs the schedules shown in the screenlogic app or on the easy touch panel. I did your test and when in service mode my intelliflo screen allows me to operate the pump manually and when I put it back to auto it says display not active. The odd part is when I get the initial no comm error for the pump and then after it connects back up (usually after throwing my main breaker), I have no control of the pump from either the app or the panel. Even weirder is the app says the pump is running and the light on the panel is red but the pump wont run. It is really frustrating because all I did was turn my light on last night and today my schedules didn't run. I am pretty familiar with electrical wiring and based on a similair thread about the wiring I checked and it appears to be wired correctly. Let me know if you need pictures or any additional info, I appreciate the help,

A,

Glad those tests worked. Let's see what else we can discover.

Show us some pics of the wiring and relays inside your EasyTouch

The odd part is when I get the initial no comm error for the pump and then after it connects back up (usually after throwing my main breaker), I have no control of the pump from either the app or the panel.

The next time that happens, don't touch anything. Go out and see if the pump says "Display not Active" or not.

You don't by chance have an IntelliFlo with the SVRS option, do you?

The app just knows what the last input was, there is no feedback of any kind. If you turn on a light, but the light is burned out, or the light relay is not working, ScreenLogic will think the light is on. A couple of things do have feedback, like pump speed. If you tell the pump to run at 1500 RPM, then you should see the pump speed on ScreenLogic increase in steps until it stops as 1500.

Of course, turning the lights on should have no effect on your schedules, so something else is going on.

Let's see if we can find anything obvious in the pics.

One other thing.. If you manually turn a scheduled circuit on or off, depending on when you do it, it will cause the schedule to get confused. When this happens, the circuit will run until the egg-timer for that circuit times out. Have you been manually turning the Pool Circuit on and off by using the Pool icon in ScreenLogic or the "F" button the panel?

Is the breaker running the pump, a GFCI breaker or not??

Thanks,

Jim R.

A,

Glad those tests worked. Let's see what else we can discover.

Show us some pics of the wiring and relays inside your EasyTouch

The next time that happens, don't touch anything. Go out and see if the pump says "Display not Active" or not.

You don't by chance have an IntelliFlo with the SVRS option, do you?

The app just knows what the last input was, there is no feedback of any kind. If you turn on a light, but the light is burned out, or the light relay is not working, ScreenLogic will think the light is on. A couple of things do have feedback, like pump speed. If you tell the pump to run at 1500 RPM, then you should see the pump speed on ScreenLogic increase in steps until it stops as 1500.

Of course, turning the lights on should have no effect on your schedules, so something else is going on.

Let's see if we can find anything obvious in the pics.

One other thing.. If you manually turn a scheduled circuit on or off, depending on when you do it, it will cause the schedule to get confused. When this happens, the circuit will run until the egg-timer for that circuit times out. Have you been manually turning the Pool Circuit on and off by using the Pool icon in ScreenLogic or the "F" button the panel?

Is the breaker running the pump, a GFCI breaker or not??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Pentair ended up sending out a tech to replace my pump and install a new panel, so far I have had no issues and screen logic seems to be working as it should. Thanks for your help and sorry I never got back to you I have been super busy with work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.