Screening pool equipment

May 31, 2008
PA
I just had an IG free form vinyl pool installed and I'm loving it. I have a 3' concrete deck all the way around and a brickstone patio is going in around 1/2 of the perimeter. The entire area will soon be fenced in as well.

Problem: my equipment pad for heater/pump/filter is about 2 feet from the deck edge and is in a highly visible entrance to the pool area. I would have preferred it to be hidden in the back but there was no way to move it due to the slope of my yard. I would like to screen this somehow, but I can't think of many options. The ground is currently a few feet deep with backfilled stone (no soil).

What's my best option to screen this and keep accessibility behind it for access to the valves and equipment? I was thinking of putting up a lattic and training something like clematis, but the ground has no soil.

As requested, I've attached a pic of the pool and of the area adjacent to the equipment pad. As you can see, the patio is still going in and I still have the construction fence. I realy need to get some landscaping for privacy from the neighbors (our new fence is not a privacy fence) and the pump/heater are a bit of an eyesore so close to the pool.
[attachment=0:1kqtspb3]Pool 7-4-2008 002.jpg[/attachment:1kqtspb3]
[attachment=1:1kqtspb3]Pool 7-4-2008 001.jpg[/attachment:1kqtspb3]

Attachments

• Pool 7-4-2008 001.jpg
    Pool 7-4-2008 001.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 680
  • Pool 7-4-2008 002.jpg
    Pool 7-4-2008 002.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 682
That's an unfortunate location for the equipment right near the shallow end where people gather. There will be noise issues you may want to mitigate also. Unfortunately the location of the valves will not allow you to put in a CMU wall. I think I'd build a wood fence around it with a gate to the deck. I would use a solid fance for sound reasons. if you want to grow things on it, put the lattice on the outside of the fence spaced out an inch or two. Try climbing mini-roses.

Steve

Actually, it is on the deep end of the pool (near the ladder). The left side of the picture will have a gate exiting to the side yard of my house and to stairs to the basement for a bathroom and changing room. The house in the background is my neighbor.

I'm just looking for something to screen the equipment but still allow me to get behind for access to the switches and equipment.

I think you have a great idea for the lattice and the clematis. Could you just plant it in a container? We have yellow jessamine planted in a container and climbing lattice.

Container gardening can solve lots of problems, at least at my house. :mrgreen:

You might also think about hanging some plants in deco planters from the top/sides. I just keep reminding myself, "low maintenance". :wink:

Let us know what you decide to do.

I agree with everyone else, a solid wood fence with some kind of climbing plant maybe even Ivy growing on the front would look nice. Then put a gate(or eave it open) in the back for access.

I'm just curious why they put the pump/filter so close to the pool. Was there no better place to hide it?

Adam

It wasn't my preferred location, but due to required setback from the neighboring property, location of the pool to meeting some other needs, electric and gas locations, and the slop of the lot which is not shown in the pic, it had to go pretty much right there. I would have preferred to hide it but I'm sure I'll deal with it somehow.

I'll post pics at some point once the screening is in place!

jjparrish said:
I think you have a great idea for the lattice and the clematis. Could you just plant it in a container? We have yellow jessamine planted in a container and climbing lattice.

Container gardening can solve lots of problems, at least at my house. :mrgreen:

You might also think about hanging some plants in deco planters from the top/sides. I just keep reminding myself, "low maintenance". :wink:

Let us know what you decide to do.

That's what I was going to say....I've seen clematis in containers 'round here....the use a 2 X whatever section of lattice to train the plant, so why not place some containers around the bottom of your panels? I would think it would look real pretty.

Don't forget to update us with pics. We love pics.

If you decide to use any sort of plantings give some thought to

1. Do they bloom and attract flying insects that could become annoying? Bees, wasps, Japanese beetles?
2. Will they drop leaves or flowers into the pool? Prevailing wind direction?

A 3-sided wooden fence will cut back on the noise a little bit whereas a lattice fence won't, but even with a solid wood fence the pump noise won't disappear.

You don't have much space between the equipment and the decking; planter pots might get in the way, but you could use hanging planters if the fence is stable and solid. You might not be able to mitigate the pump noise but you can certainly make the equipment are be attractive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Our equipment was poorly placed as well, due to our ignorance and electric access etc.
Our first screening was made of lattice that looked like an ugly lattice box. We left the lattice box in place and installed curved top fence panels around it. Noise is much less and it with shrubbery, it looks much better.

I have a 2' high free standing wall on two sides of my equipment. Its on a corner the wall is 6' long in both directions. We have some large potted plants on top of the wall. The only thing you see for the most part is the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.