scratching head...need help/suggestions

about an hour later....rechecked pool

CL still around 3-5 didn't check PH at this time

FC 9.5
CC2.0

so per calculation on Pool Match site I am adding 4 oz and 4 tsp of Chlorine....retest later prior to bed.

last testing for tonight...its 10pm so here it is..will test in the morning and go from there.

FC 9.5
CC1.5

so after adding the 4 oz and 4 tsp of chlorine...I stayed the same on FC but dropped .5 on CC..is that normal? I went ahead and added back the same amount to get it back up to shock level for the night. Curious to see what tmrw morning will be. Ill post in the morning...thanks again for the advice/help!

6:43 am here in Central IL...I got up just to do a water sample...sigh lol Here is the results and what I did/did not do:

FC 11.5
CC 1.0

FC went up 2 and CC went down .5. Last time I added Chlorine was around 10 last night. So it has sat 8 hours. Since right now my CYA is basically at zero and my shock level is 10, I did not add any more bleach b/c I am at shock level. I did however retest CYA and it is showing zero still so I put some stabilizer in a sock an added it to the filter in pool. I did squeeze it a few times when I placed it in there. I didnt' retest TA/PH b/c as we agreed its pointless at this time. I can however see the bottom of the pool, stairs and vacuum that is in the pool. The water isnt cloudy now just hazy looking. Unless you are in the full sun then it is hard to see but I dont think it is the water but the sun that is making it hard to see. In the shade you can see bottom, etc. So what is my next step now? I know to keep an eye on FC/CC and CYA and add accordingly and test accordingly. Ill keep adjusting my levels per the results and Pool Math too.

You're making progress. Don't just keep adding bleach -- you need to brush the walls to loosen any algae that may still be clinging to them. Ladders and stairs are notorious hiding places for algae as well. There are countless narratives here where someone has struggled with a cloudy pool for weeks and finally pulled steps or the ladder and found a gooey mess somewhere. And then two days later, it was sparkling.

that's the thing..we have never had algae..this is completely brand new water....it only turned cloudy when we dumped a lot of stuff in it...We completley dumped all water of the pool..got into it, washed the sides, bottom, all pipes/hoses, filters, stairs, etc..brand new water...it was fine but yellow as in first picture till we dumped this and that into it...I think this is more of a metal issue as I state from the beginning than anything....

- - - Updated - - -

Last yr we had water hauled in..this yr we couldn't afford to do so so we put in our town's gross water w/o a filter on b/c it takes forever to fill it. Hence the yellow water in pool with first picture..it was like that till we put in something called Iron out, which is not a pool chemical it is a house hold chemical, that started working on the metals but we got impatient so then we added a whole thing of algaecide, why I dont know..just did, which made the water turn white and then blue/cloudy like you see in second picture. Plus other chemicals we had on hand...it never changed colors till the algeacide was added. When we were vacuuming to waste, we could see it coming out..it was foamy and soaping like soap....the flockuant worked to settle everything...and we got quite a bit of it out..once we started pump running again, it stirred what was left in there but I can clearly see the bottom of the pool...its just hazy now.

Ok..Ill pick up some DE when I head to town this week...Yesterday we aerated the pool for several hours. I had to shut the process off when a storm with about 2-3 inches of rain. Then we had to go out twice and backwash some water out of pool as the rain made it spill over. We had it a littler fuller than we normally do b/c we have been vacuuming it to waste at times. The water is clear but hazy looking. we can stand and look into pool and see liner and also stand on the deck and see stairs and liner clear, it just looks hazy. I did readings this morning and im still concerned about my PH..it was a nice pink color but I fear it is higher than shown...which I know to add acid to bring it down and then aerate to bring down TA. I think PH and TA is our whole problem right now. Here are test results as of this morning:

CL-.5 Light yellow color on tube test
PH 7.5 (it was 7.2 but raised..rain? or aeration that cause this? I fear it may be higher)

FC 2.0
CC 1.0 this was hard to tell as the test was a pale pale pink after first drop. Could of gone by 1 or 2 drops so I settled on 2)

PH 7.5
TA 330 Pink never red
CYA is finally showing up as we added it slowly yesterday I would say it is btwn a 30 to 40.

so per pool math calculater I am to add some chlorine but that is about all it tells me to add. I know TA is HIGH and I need to bring it down. I suspect my PH may be higher as well if TA is. So Acid to bring down PH and then Aerate to bring down TA correct?

In additon to this, I just looked at our forecast for this week..we have rain coming Monday -Wednesday. Should I wait till after the rain to start this process? My thinking is this: we normally have to vacuum or dump some of the water out of the pool (depends on how much stuff gets blown into it from trees during storms OR how much rain we get over fills the pool) I dont want to buy products to have lay on the ground after backwashing out the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
test results and pool update:

Ok...my husband and I spent a day aerating the pool. Before hand we brought down the PH to about 6.0 and then while aerating we added Muricatic Acid to bring down TA..which it has but not completely. We put everything back together on the pool b/c rain was coming and it has rained for a few days. This morning I went out and took test results and this is were I am sitting at now:

CL-2-3
PH-6.8 or a little higher, maybe 7.0? it is a med apricot color
TA 300..it was HIGH 300s
CYA btwn 40-50
CH 240
FC 5.0
CC.05

the water is clear..we can see the bottom and all around it, it needs to be vacuumed due to rain/debris from trees but water looks GREAT! So my question is this: should I worry about TA or continue to bring it down with Acid and Aeration? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.