Scheduling pump for off-peak rates and solar heating

Sep 17, 2016
San Diego, CA
I'd like to run my pump during super-off-peak electric hours (midnight to 6am), but I need to run it mid-day for solar heating.

What I imagine is a controller that would do this:
1) Normally run at night
2) Run mid-day only as long as my pool needs heating and the sun is out.
3) If the pump ran during the day, automatically reduce night-time run accordingly.

That's the basic idea. I realize that there would be more complexity regarding pump speeds (I currently have a single-speed, but am looking to upgrade to variable).

Are there pump controllers that can handle such a dynamic schedule?

Lee

What you need is automation. Basic automation starts around $1k. Automation will allow you to schedule to your heart's content. I don't think any automation though can make the decision that if the pump ran during the day, not to run at night. Or, for instance, sum up run hours and not go over a set number.

Yep - I figured that would be the catch.

Since I have solar electric panels on my home an alternative would be: Run during the day as long as the sun is shining, otherwise make up the difference at night. It would be nice to use my own electricity when I can, and pay the minimum per kwh when I can't.

But that has the same complexity of reducing the night-time run if I ran during the day, with the whole new problem that the controller would need to know when my solar panels are making electricity - probably even less practical than the original post :) .

Non-VS (variable speed) pumps use a LOT let electricity. See below a chart I put together. The chart is based on 12 cents/kilowatt electric costs. Your better bet might be to simply get a more efficient pump. I run my pump 24x7 but 90% of the time it is at 1200 rpms, which is very cheap to run. You also may have some local rebates for a new VS pump.

vsp-costs.jpg

Right now, liquid chlorine, manually added. A new controller however would be part of an overall system upgrade, which would include a SWG.
You will want to get the largest SWCG unit you can so you can run it the least amount each day.

With VS pump, you could generate your chlorine at night on a set schedule. Then set up the system to run the solar during the day when you can heat the pool. I assume you cover your pool as heating a pool and not covering it is a waste of energy.

You will need an automation system as discussed above. Be sure your pump, SWCG, and automation can all talk to each other.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.