Scaling on pool after opening

pcjackson06

Apr 21, 2020
Wye Mills MD
For the first time in 11 years, and with a new pool service, when we opened the water was a dark green. While the company we used returned the pool to an acceptable state, we have brownish/green scaling on the plaster. That did not exist last year. I’m attaching pictures which show the plaster this year vs last. Was this simply an unavoidable growth due to the mild winter in Maryland? Or was it due to poor closing practices? Is there recourse to fix the plaster? Any and all feedback is appreciated.

878152B7-1203-4CCE-8717-1458E4AF008F.jpeg4E5631AF-EA5A-4EC7-A868-67EEE43F7CE0.jpeg530B3ADD-31A3-4CDB-9FCB-27CA1D2BA79B.jpeg

Welcome to TFP! :wave: All of that just from this past season? Wow. Well, something chemically wasn't performed correctly. But there's probably no way for us to know now. Best you can do is damage control. Are you testing your own water now? That would be step #1 and highly encouraged. Here our members use the TF-100 (or Taylor K-2006C). Posting a full set of test results would be our starting point. From there we can try to see if you have only a scaling issue, or perhaps a lingering algae problem that is perhaps somewhat embedded in that scale as well. Lots to consider, but accurate test results is step #1.

Okay, so with a little more info, let me give you the following to consider:
- The numbers aren't really something we would consider valid to use here as there is no way to know how accurate they are (i.e. test kit used, accuracy of the tech, etc). However, having said that, if those numbers are close, they don't support scale - certainly not that fast. The levels (CH, TA, pH) are not exceedingly high. Your water temp is probably still chilly which helps to prevent scale as well. So either those tests are not accurate, or the stains may not be scale. Plus, scale takes a while to form. You pics show a lot of staining, but it may be something else.

- So what I would say now is let's ensure it's not just organic staining. Do you have a chlorine tablet handy? Place on on a stained area and run it around (with gloves on) for a couple minutes. Or you can use a pool pole/brush to help move it around. If the stain lightens, it's algae. Let us know if that does anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.