Birmingham, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey everyone — new pool owner (about 1 month). I’ve already determined the pool store is full of nonsense and have bought into TFP and PoolMath. I have a calcium silicate issue on my swg, FG pool That I inherited. Like many others, nothing will touch it…. Tried 1500 grit sandpaper, and it marginally dimmed it and wore me out…. I just wanted to clarify — for those of you who may have used sandpaper — what grit(s) did you use? I’ve ordered some 600 wet/dry and 1000 wet/dry — but I think I may have to go lower to really touch it…. All my chems are balanced now and have low (but positive CSI)…. It is a struggle to keep PH down though.

CEC90862-E4FB-4306-ACAD-8246E986FF85.jpeg

Last edited:
for those of you who may have used sandpaper — what grit(s) did you use?
During some chalky discoloration in my pool, I have used anywhere from 200-600 wet/dry. But keep in mind this was not calcium related. In fact, Viking had me lower the water level to expose the first step and apply some muriatic acid to the step to see if it would fizzle (calcium) which it did not. So in my case the discoloration was gelcoat related. You might want to confirm that as well so you know for sure what you may/may not be dealing with. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

During some chalky discoloration in my pool, I have used anywhere from 200-600 wet/dry. But keep in mind this was not calcium related. In fact, Viking had me lower the water level to expose the first step and apply some muriatic acid to the step to see if it would fizzle (calcium) which it did not. So in my case the discoloration was gelcoat related. You might want to confirm that as well so you know for sure what you may/may not be dealing with. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks so much for your response… I’ve read through your post and think the same thing has happened to my pool. I inherited it, but many similarities are the same. It’s a Latham pool, purchased in 2013, and its not Calcium Carbonate — muriatic acid doesn’t make it Bubble…

My pool finish is a flecked color (light blue, dark blue, etc…) so what i know is oxidation on the pool line below water — doesn’t bother me and it doesn’t look bad. I just need to take care of about 4 inches of scale at the pool line.

I’ve gone down to 400 grit wet/dry, but it barely touches it.

When you used 120, did you have to come with higher grit to “buff” it out at all, or were you 120 and done?

When you used 120, did you have to come with higher grit to “buff” it out at all, or were you 120 and done?
I just left it like that. It was below the waterline so any hairline scratches weren't visible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.