Scale/Calcium is falling off the tiles

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
Today I noticed a lot of white flakes at the bottomof my salt pool.
FC =4
CC = 0
pH = 7.6
TA = 90
CYA = 80%
Hardness 250
This has been my normal for many months but last night we had a rain storm which raised the level above the normal level.
I think the scale is coming off the tile around the waters edge of the pool.

My questions is why did it start after the rain and would a too low ph make it seperate the scale/calcium from the tiles?

Normally calcium scale does not fall off that easy. Given you have a SWG, it could also be salt. Sometimes I get salt collecting on the tiles and then when the water level rises, it falls of and/or dissolves.

mas985 said:
Normally calcium scale does not fall off that easy. Given you have a SWG, it could also be salt. Sometimes I get salt collecting on the tiles and then when the water level rises, it falls of and/or dissolves.

hummm that could be a possibility. I guess I need to taste it and see. LOL
Why wouldn't it desolve into the water?

What makes you think it is calcium scale? There is nothing in your test results to indicate a scaling condition in your pool.

It could be one of many things that precipitated form your water onto the tile and is simply being released from the tile as the water rises.

That is not a characteristic of calcium scale.

duraleigh said:
What makes you think it is calcium scale? There is nothing in your test results to indicate a scaling condition in your pool.

It could be one of many things that precipitated from your water onto the tile and is simply being released from the tile as the water rises.

That is not a characteristic of calcium scale.

I do have a white ring around the pool on the tiles at water level. I was jsut thinking it might be relseased from the tile for some weird chemical reaction. It isn't salt but it is some large flakes that I can pickup and break in my hand easily. I know this sound weird but all I can think is it is from the scale buildup on the tiles.

Well I finally figured out where the white flakes were coming from.
I increased the time the pool pump stays on as well as the SWG.
The scale was coming off of the SWG cell and was entering the pool by the 2 closest return lines in the wall.
So the heavy usage helped clean my SWG.

All is well in paradise... :cheers: :wave: :goodjob:

When the SWG reverses polarity, it tends to sluff off the calcium build up which is a good thing. The bad part is that it goes back into the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.