2neuges

Jun 26, 2023
Paragould, AR
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, we will be converting to salt next spring.
We received our first quote for roughly $3000...the truth is, I can directly order the same system for half the price as what they are charging. I have little confidence, however, that we can install it ourselves. Outside of a pool company, who do you reach out to to help with install in order to save some money? I estimate we can save about $1000 by not using the pool company.
Thanks!

A local handyman could do the job as it is just cutting and gluing PVC, hanging a control box on the wall and doing some simple electrical wiring (assuming you’re not trying to tie it into an existing automation setup). The only downside is that you get no warranty for the work and you’re likely on your own figuring out how to set it up and get it running. If you don’t mind being responsible for that part and overseeing the handyman’s work, then it’s doable.

Reactions: 2neuges
You can see my RJ-45 install linked below if it helps.

Hello, we will be converting to salt next spring.
We received our first quote for roughly $3000...the truth is, I can directly order the same system for half the price as what they are charging. I have little confidence, however, that we can install it ourselves. Outside of a pool company, who do you reach out to to help with install in order to save some money? I estimate we can save about $1000 by not using the pool company.
Thanks!
Depending on the labor component, IMO $3000 is a "go away" bid. IOW, they don't want to do it.
I would call around. It is not rocket science. It is a splice into the water flow, an electrical hook up, and an automation hook up.

I'd recommend a Circupool RJ60 SWCG and a vsp. You can get some kind of a combo price from them as another member just did the same and keep saving cash on electricity going forward. You can run it 24/7 for less then what you have there now.
Is there a link you can share for the combo price?

+1 on the handyman. You may even be able to find an electrician willing to do the plumbing also, as they work with PVC all day so long as the whole 'pool' thing doesn't scare them off.

Here's the maths on 25k gallon conversions:

Depending on the labor component, IMO $3000 is a "go away" bid. IOW, they don't want to do it.
I would call around. It is not rocket science. It is a splice into the water flow, an electrical hook up, and an automation hook up.
Yeah, I've gotten the impression before that they have no interest in helping me lower my costs or switching to salt.

My PB charges about double the cost of anything to install it between profit, parts and labor. I knew someone back when who did sales for a poolstore and their markup was the same on most things.

$3k is entirely fair for a PB install with warranty for a large SWG / controller IMO. That's not to say you couldn't do better than that on your own subbing it out, simply that it's fair.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My PB charges about double the cost of anything to install it between profit, parts and labor. I knew someone back when who did sales for a poolstore and their markup was the same on most things.

$3k is entirely fair for a PB install with warranty for a large SWG / controller IMO. That's not to say you couldn't do better than that on your own subbing it out, simply that it's fair.

A local pool shop here wanted $250 to replace a defective flow switch on the IntelliChlor. The part itself is available for $50 (and I’m sure they can get it cheaper than I can) and it’s literally a 15min job if you spend lots of time on it.

Even if you factor in the trip charge and their workmanship warranty, I’d say their mark up was a bit more than excessive.

But yeah, anything pool related is 2X the cost easily.

A local pool shop here wanted $250 to replace a defective flow switch on the IntelliChlor. The part itself is available for $50 (and I’m sure they can get it cheaper than I can) and it’s literally a 15min job if you spend lots of time on it
There's a $200 min on my statement above, of course. They have an employee, vehicle and business expenses and quote time to recover. I have had to pay several companies now just to come quote me. Other industries are shifting to the appliance repair way of doing things.

and I’m sure they can get it cheaper than I can)
Not always. A family memebr had a service shop and they often paid more, locked into their suppliers, than I could find at online wholesalers.

I don't believe we have enough information to critique the price. We haven't seen your equipment pad and we don't know what equipment was quoted.
They didn't have my information either ha! They just sent the one swcg option that they work with. I am not necessarily asking for a critique in the quoted price. I'm mostly wondering how often it happens that people order these outside of pool companies...

Hello,
We'll be converting to salt next spring.
We currently have a single speed pump and run it for 10 hours at night.
Do you have to run your pump 24/7 with a SWCG? Just trying to do my research and get all of the facts! Thank you!!!

No you don't have to run 24/7 although many pool owners do just that mainly because they have VS pumps so it doesn't cost much. But with a single speed, you are fine running under a shorter schedule. Ideally, you want as big a SWCG as possible so you are not running it at 100% for the full run time. There is some evidence that SWCG off time with the pump running can help keep the plates clean by redissolving any scale that may have deposited while energized.

You have to run a pump long enough to produce the amount of FC needed to replace the FC loss do to use and UV. Every day.
The SWCG depends on the size of your pool. We recommend 2x. So a 25k gal pool should use a SWCG rated for 50k gals. There are only 2 that I am aware of the CIrcuPool RJ60plus and the Pentair IC60.

There is a setting on the
PoolMath app where you can put in the volume of the pool and the type of SWCG and it will generate how long you need to run the pump for a given FC output.

They didn't have my information either ha! They just sent the one swcg option that they work with. I am not necessarily asking for a critique in the quoted price. I'm mostly wondering how often it happens that people order these outside of pool companies...
Different capacity SWG have different prices.
Ask them what exact brand SWG system and the capacity they are proposing and also for the scope of work entailed.

With a 25k pool, you should be looking for a SWG with a 60k capacity.
With a single speed pump, you will want to run the SWG at 100% to minimize pump run time to that needed to produce the required FC in the shortest amount of time.

Installing a VS pump, along with a SWG, will save money on electricity in the long run.

Many here have ordered online. Some have self installed and some have had a handyman or their pool guy install it.
I ordered a Circupool system and installed it myself. The warranty is valid for self installs with that brand.

Reactions: 2neuges and Newdude
You have to run a pump long enough to produce the amount of FC needed to replace the FC loss do to use and UV. Every day.
The SWCG depends on the size of your pool. We recommend 2x. So a 25k gal pool should use a SWCG rated for 50k gals. There are only 2 that I am aware of the CIrcuPool RJ60plus and the Pentair IC60.

There is a setting on the
PoolMath app where you can put in the volume of the pool and the type of SWCG and it will generate how long you need to run the pump for a given FC output.
Thank you for this - I didn't know there was such a thing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.