Sanity Check !!!

niteshift38

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 10, 2017
Hamburg/NY
Only my 2nd post, but can it really be this good? Pool is crystal clear. Pool #'s as of 9:30 this morning are:

FC - 8.5 (because I added 1qt 8.25% bleach last night)
CC - 0
PH -7.4
CH -200
CYA - 30
TEMP - 81
CSI - (-0.18)

The pool gets full sun pretty much all day, and temps have been in the low to mid 80's the past several days. I record everything, and I have been only using 1.5ppm of chlorine/day!!! Seems low! Just curious ... do I have that much of a handle on my pools chemistry or, am I missing something that is going to sneak up on me? (my wife calls me paranoid and trying to find a problem)

[To any new to TFP, I was skeptical of the cost of the test kit when I first came here, but it is worth it's weight in gold. Trust the recommendations you receive here TOTALLY !!! (and Pool Math is a MUST)]

Just note that your usage will go up with more swimming. This process really is that simple. A really handy part of the poolmath site is at the bottom "Effects of adding chemicals". I use it to see how much FC is added with whatever bleach source I am using. Right now I have a stockpile of 10% and the tool shows me I add .5 FC per cup per my gallons. So I can go to the pool, test, and adjust all in one trip. Down 2 FC, just drop in 4 cups. Just remember to check your entries are correct on poolmath. If you clear history/cookies/cache on the browser it may set volume back to 10000.

It really can be that easy once you have a clean pool. Daily test & add bleach, clean skimmer basket. Adjust pH as necessary. Brush & vac weekly. Monitor filter.

I use this as my measuring cup. Custom made for my specific pool volume and bleach strength. No calcs, just fill to 1,2,3,4ppm line based on what's needed.
66OuEgj.jpg

FYI -- always be careful placing chemicals in containers that originally held an item a child or adult could consume. I have had many incidents in my working past were people would put chemicals in water bottles or juice bottles and then someone would take a drink from that bottle. Very bad outcome.

Take care.

FYI -- always be careful placing chemicals in containers that originally held an item a child or adult could consume. I have had many incidents in my working past were people would put chemicals in water bottles or juice bottles and then someone would take a drink from that bottle. Very bad outcome.

Agreed, good advice! This is my custom measuring cup and I did peel the labels off for a bit extra ambiguity. It normally empty and only has liquid in it long enough to pour from bleach bottle, walk out to the pool, dump it into the pool in front of the return. I cap the bottle so that if I somehow drop it, it doesn't spill bleach everywhere.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Teald024 - Thanks again for the idea ... I would do the same as you, but if I can avoid an OOPS I forgot to pour it in the pool (because of whatever reason), I was able to find an old CLR container (which is clear and loooks like nothing else I buy) ... In the process of doing the measuring and marking now ... THANKS for ALL the input again

- - - Updated - - -

aftrshok99 - The bleach doesn't deteriorate the "I use a tupperware (off brand one)" ?

- - - Updated - - -

aftrshok99 - The bleach doesn't deteriorate the "I use a tupperware (off brand one)" ?

It hasn't yet and this is my second year of using it, looks brand new but all I do is pour the bleach to the desired level, walk out to pool and add then rinse the container in the pool and set it back with my pool supplies to let dry.

Gotcha ... I'll be doing the same ... Fill to level ... pour in pool ... then rinse ... Been looking here for several years, and I find you can NEVER stop learning :)

We just had to have a cheap set we got somewhere lying around so I grabbed the small container for collecting my pool water sample and the next one up for my chlorine additions. I learn stuff all the time on here, it's a great resource!!! :)

Teald024 - I'm glad you did also ... ANY input I get I chaulk up as knowledge ... Back in the 70's (I know I'm dating myself) a teacher once told me "The ONLY mistakes in life are lessons unlearned" ... I have sworn by that since ... Thanks to TFP, I think I'm getting there with my pool ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.