Chesapeake/ VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I keep my hottub balanced and clean; however, this past week, I've gone out to uncover the hottub, and there is sand all over the bottom! We wear shoes out to the tub and step into it from them, so sand isn't getting tracked in. Where is this sand coming from? I've noticed the filters have become brittle and I've ordered replacements. What is causing all this sand to show up? It's never happened before so I don't know if something else is going on mechanically causing this sand to appear. The cover stays on when not using. I have a 2007 Hot Spring Prodigy. Thank you!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Please update your signature with all of your hot tub info (Read This BEFORE You Post - Trouble Free Pool) as that will help everyone know what equipment and such you have there to help answer your question. Also make sure to include what test kit you use to maintain the water.

Some common questions to ask:
- How old is the tub?
- When was the last time the water was changed?
- When was the past time the lines were purged (i.e an Ahhsome treatment)?

M,

Is the Frog sanitizing system a mineral system with cartridges?? If so, I would assume the cartridge is the source of the "sand"...

Thanks,

Jim R.
Unfortunately, I don't think so. I've just changed the water and haven't installed a new mineral cartridge yet, and there is still sand showing up. The filters have become brittle, and I've got replacements on the way, so maybe, it's the filters? I don't know, it's never happened before. Thanks for the reply!

Just a thought. My hot tub gets alot of sand and crud this time of year from leaf blowing anywhwere near it. The lightweight stuff goes right up the wall and finds its way under the cover flap.

Just a thought. My hot tub gets alot of sand and crud this time of year from leaf blowing anywhwere near it. The lightweight stuff goes right up the wall and finds its way under the cover flap.
That is certainly a possibility, and we've had some strong winds, but it's never happened before. The cover is getting replaced, so that will hopefully resolve the issue, if that's what is causing it. After refilling, there was more sand prior to adding any chemicals, but not nearly the amount that was there prior to draining and cleaning. We're getting new filters too, as I've discovered the ones I have are brittle. I'll keep everyone posted if all the new stuff resolves the problem. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.