Sand Pump for 12'x30" Intex frame pool w/ HARD well water???

sarah.anne

Apr 14, 2020
St. Louis area, in IL
Hi! first time poster, here! ??

We just purchased an Intex 12'x30" Prism Frame Pool on Amazon. We opted for one without a pump because our very hard water (high calcium & iron) made a mess of our cartridges in our filter last year (10' EasySet) So we want to try a sand filter this time. But I'm hoping for some experienced advice...

- First off- I need to know if a sand pump is a smart idea with the hard water. We just got so sick of buying & replacing filters! I don't know ANYTHING about DE filters...but I'd consider that too if it's an affordable/manageable option.
- Next I need a brand & model, or at least GPH recommendation. Filled to the brim, we'd be looking at about 2100 gallons.

- Finally, what's the BEST way to connect the pump? Comments on reviews etc seem to be split between people buying adapters to retrofit the hoses, & others saying they cut bigger holes in the pool to fit the larger hoses from the sand pump. Cutting holes in a brand new pool scares me- but I don't want to wreck a brand new pump either, or make it ineffective by restricting flow too much. So which is better, & can someone give me specific instructions &/or parts to make this work?

If it helps to know, I'm in the St. Louis area, & we intend for this to be a seasonal pool that we take down for cold weather. ❄

Keep in mind I'm kind of a newbie. We've had pools before, but mostly of the kiddie, inflatable, & EasySet variety. My husband did have a bigger above-ground growing up, so he has a basic knowledge....but he's not involved in this shopping process- ha He'll do the legwork once I have bought everything. Thanks SO much in advance for kind advice...this seems like a great forum full of helpful, caring people!! :) ??

Welcome! You’ve came to the right place!
I’m not far from you and yes we have very hard water! I purchased an Intex Ultra XTR last summer. I got a great deal on a package that included the Intex sand filter and SWG. I knew when I purchased it that I would probably want to upgrade the pump/filter and SWG, but it was a great deal so I’m going to use them until they die. I have absolutely no problem with my hard water. I do have borax in my pool, which I love. So far my pool is crystal clear, I have never had to slam. I left my pool up for the winter and opened to clear water. I have updated my plumbing to 1 1/2 inch but did not have to cut my pool.
Buy as big of a sand filter as you can afford. Mine came with a 16 inch, 2800gph pump, my next one will be bigger, but again it was a great deal and my water is perfect. My only compliant is that I run my pump pretty much 24/7. That isn’t an issue as far as electro costs, but I know it is in some places.
Read up on all the articles in pool school. I have never been to a pool store. I stick with salt, bleach on occasion, muriatic acid, and borax. My small SWG runs 6 hours a day and keeps my FC where I need it.
Best of luck and welcome!

Reactions: sarah.anne
When I had a 12x30 I used this pump

Worked excellent, hoses fit my pool don't know if it will fit the new ones.

A 12x30 is around 3000 gallons, if you have a water softener you might be able to fill some with that and use top ups from the water softener to help with high ch. You can toss the water every year to lower it since it's small.

Bigger filter is always better, 10" is probably fine, I think the one I listed is a 13-14 I think

Pump I go with hp, it's pretty much all a Crud shoot, the one I listed is 1/3 hp(yes listing shows different) and anything from there to 1/2 hp is fine.

I don't know any Intex stuff anymore since they changed stuff in the last few years.

The pump I listed has 1 1/2 threads with hose Barb's for 1 1/2 and I think 1 1/4

OK so here's what I'm contemplating now. Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools It goes from 10"-16" & I'm having a hard time deciding which size to get. The 12" is the cheapest @ about $130, so that's what I'm leaning towards. Is that enough, or do I need to go bigger? I attached the specs chart below. I just don't really understand how to navigate all of the different specs (size, GPH, HP, etc) Gaaaahhhh.....I feel like I'm completely overthinking this & I've been putting off pulling the trigger to make this purchase- but I don't want to make the wrong decision. Thanks!! :)
~Sarah

1588182946116.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.