Sand in pool 2nd year - please help!

Jul 1, 2015
Memphis, TN
Hi! I follow the method of balancing the pool here and my water is always great! Last year I started to get sand in the pool so I replaced the laterals on my sand filter (Hayward T-244) even though they weren't broken when we took out the old sand. We also put in new sand purchased from our local pool store that installed our pool 5 years ago. I was still getting some sand in the bottom. Then we replaced the entire multiport value so we could have a new spider gasket. Still no joy. In case anyone is wondering, it is sand and not algae. Here is a picture of the sand that just accumulated on the buddy seat - this is right under the jet for the seat. Sand is also on the bottom of the pool - not a ton but enough to settle in the seams of the liner. After we replaced the sand and multiport valve we got a new pump which was the same size as our first one (1.5 hp for a 33,000 gallon vinyl pool) Can anyone help? IMG_1110.jpegIMG_1110.jpeg

It is gritty like sand. Thanks!
Based on everything you've done so far, it would seem like a bit of a mystery huh? The only things that come to mind are:
- One Of the new laterals were defective or not connected properly at the hub/knuckle
- One of the new laterals cracked during installation; did you fill partially with water before dumping the new sand?
- Too much sand overflowing over center standpipe
- Not rinsing long enough after backwash. Maybe give another 30 seconds or so during rinse?

If it's not something as simple as rinsing more, you may have no choice other than to go back inside. If I missed a thought someone else will reply. Let us know how it turns out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.