Ashburn, VA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hello can anyone help me with a problem I am having? Under my return jet there is always a small pool of sand that settles there that I constantly have to vacuum. I am pretty sure that the sand is coming from the sand filter and into pool via the return jet. How can I resolve this? TIA.

That is almost always an indication you have something wrong in the filter like a damaged lateral branch, connection at the center hub assembly, or the center pipe. Sometimes it's the sand itself if the sand used was not of pool grade quality and #2o silica sand, so that's something to consider. But if it was fine before and just started happening, you might need to inspect the parts inside the filter for damage.

You most likely have a leak on the laterals (these are at the bottom of the filter below the sand) or have a leak on the standpipe that goes from the laterals to the top of the filter to the exit connection.

Thanks thats what I was hoping it wasn't since this is a brand new first year filter. Is this something I should contact intex about and get a warranty replacement?

I used FairmountSantrol AquaQuartz-50 Pool Filter 20-Grade Silica Sand 50 Pounds, White from Amazon so I assume that's pool grade sand so it has to be the sand filter. Just need to see if I should try for a warranty replacement. I actually have 2 sand filters and the sand settles only below one of the filters return so I have an idea which one is the culprit here. Thanks

With brand new filters there could be a warranty claim if they were installed by a licensed contractor. If you installed them, then the manufacture "might" try to claim improper installation. Once example would be trying to infer the owner may not have pre-filled the vessel with water to reduce the likelihood of heavy sand damaging the laterals when added. But if you have a good understanding of that process, they might just assume it was a manufacture defect if you do indeed find a damaged lateral. Unfortunately, there's only one way to find out. Gotta go digging. Have a couple tarps ready to place the sand on. You can reuse it once you're done.

Reactions: chi-chi
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.