sand filter won't backwash

Jnet

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Chicago/Northwest, IL
Hi,

The sand filter went in early this summer and was working fine (there have been SWG issues, but I could at least backwash filter no problem). I had houseguests and one of them helpfully went out to see why pool wasn't circulating, became very happy they could get it to "work" but when I went out to backwash the filter after they left, no backwash happens. I'm including some pics--I think there shouldn't be water coming out as seen in the leak still shot. Any advice? What should I do until I can get someone out here to look at this? Thank you!!

Attachments

• full setup.jpeg
    full setup.jpeg
    758.3 KB · Views: 14
  • water should be 1:2 on tile.jpeg
    water should be 1:2 on tile.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 14
  • valve 1.jpeg
    valve 1.jpeg
    378.5 KB · Views: 12
  • top view valve 1.jpeg
    top view valve 1.jpeg
    637.6 KB · Views: 12
  • valve 2.jpeg
    valve 2.jpeg
    438 KB · Views: 12
  • no flow.jpeg
    no flow.jpeg
    428.8 KB · Views: 12
  • leak still shot.png
    leak still shot.png
    358.7 KB · Views: 14
Why do you think your filter should be backwashed?

Where is the leak coming out from? That looks like a union on the output side of your pump.

You talked about backwashing but gave no pics of your MPV that you use to backwash.

When you say no backwash happens, what do you do and what do you expect to happen?

The pump lid is missing on your pool pump in the pic. You sure it's on it now?
The handle on your backwash valve, does it feel like it should when you push it down to turn?
When in backwash, look at the sight glass behind the backwash valve on the side. Does it fill with water? Does the pump basket fill with moving water? Is there filter pressure? Right now it sound like your pump isnt primed.

I agree, it seems that I cannot get the pump to prime--I've been filling it for an hour and the water just never fills up so I can put the lid on. It's proving to be a true hassle to get someone out to my house to look at it and I'm really wondering can I turn off pump and heater for the night since I have no idea if I have damage or will do damage if the pump is running and not primed? If there's a leak, then there would be no vacuum correct? yes, the lid was on and tight and the backwash valve feels normal when I try to turn it. The pump appears to be filled with moving water when I look at it. What should filter pressure be at? (My husband passed from brain cancer on 8/22/22 and the pool has been my issue all summer SWG, filter, algae, it's all new to me and I'm trying to learn--not being able to prime pump or backwash does concern me. I try to backwash twice a week to keep it clean and I know to empty skimmers and pump baskets. Any advice would be great. It's 7:30 here now and I'm wondering if I can turn off pump and heater and wait to see if I can get someone here tomorrow? Thank you!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.