Sand Filter Sizing

DebraJ

Bronze Supporter
May 6, 2016
OMAK/WA
I'm considering going from my 2500gpm cartridge filter to an Intex 14" Sand Filter. Do you think this is a good size for my pool? And given no unusual circumstances (ie: leaves, dust storm, etc.) how often do you think I would need to backwash. I know about the pressure gauge reading, but I'd like to get an idea before I buy it. I'm trying to determine if the loss of water is still better than the cartridge filters I'm always cleaning and boy have they gotten expensive! Thanks for any information you can offer.

You would be better off going away from the Intex type system to a real system that will work better... Every pool is different so we have no idea how much your pool will need to backwash...

I like a large cart filter as they go longer before needing cleaned but they are not cheap... Her is a 120 cart filter for about the same price :)

We purchased out Intex this year. Knowing this was our first pool we decided to just use what it came with and after we learned a few things, we would upgrade for the following year. So far the first item will be the pump/filter. I was looking at the Intex 3000gph model, but I am starting to lean towards a 1hp Hayward 2 speed w/appropriate sand filter and upgrading all our lines to 1.5" PVC. This should pump more than the Intex's 3000gph and allow us to put in items like a fountain, robo cleaner, etc.

Reactions: cowboycasey
You would be better off going away from the Intex type system to a real system that will work better... Every pool is different so we have no idea how much your pool will need to backwash...

I like a large cart filter as they go longer before needing cleaned but they are not cheap... Her is a 120 cart filter for about the same price :)

Thank you for the input. I'm a bit confused on the cartridge filter item. What about a pump?
My two concerns about the sand pump system would be no GCFI plug-in and no on/off switch?
Thanks again for your ideas.

You do not have any GFCI outlets on your outdoor outlets? when was your house built?

That cartridge filter would use your existing pump and you would have to make fittings to fit it into your system... The new sand filter and pump is a better option :)

I think there is some confusion as to what the pieces are to a filtration system...

In short, you have 3 filtrations system available to you.
1. Filter
2. Sand
3. DE

All 3 will require a pump that run off an electrical outlet that MUST be GCFI protected. As for an on/off switch, the pump really should be placed on a timer so that it turns on and off at selected intervals.

You do not have any GFCI outlets on your outdoor outlets? when was your house built?

That cartridge filter would use your existing pump and you would have to make fittings to fit it into your system... The new sand filter and pump is a better option :)
Yes. We have GFCI. The timer is a good idea if you're not shutting it down to clean, although that's why I want to get a bigger filter and not need to do that as much. My current pump is 2500 gpm with the pump and filter as 1 unit. I suppose I could run the large cartridge via the current pump/cartridge and just don't put a B cartridge in the unit. Would 2500 gpm be good with the large cartridge?

I think there is some confusion as to what the pieces are to a filtration system...

In short, you have 3 filtrations system available to you.
1. Filter
2. Sand
3. DE

All 3 will require a pump that run off an electrical outlet that MUST be GCFI protected. As for an on/off switch, the pump really should be placed on a timer so that it turns on and off at selected intervals.
I understand the different types of filters. I was looking for a system unit not piecing something together. But that may be an okay idea if my current 2500 gpm pump/filter will run the larger cartridge filter and just not put in the B filter. I just don't want to be cleaning the filter once or twice a week.

I think my light just came on... LOL. First, maybe my B filter is good enough and I just thought I had to clean it so often and don't!! Second, maybe my pump and filter aren't 1 unit but just mounted on the same base. I wonder how many feet of filter is in a B cartridge.

I looked your filter up and think this is what you have:

From what I can see you have 2 hoses. 1 inlet, 1 outlet. This means there is a direct connection between the filter and the pump making it a single unit. The general consensus is Intex gives you the bare minimum filter size to get you by. Is this the "stock" unit that came with your pool? Many do recommend upgrading and in your case would be required purchasing a new pump and filter system.

For example my pool came with a 2100gph system. I will be upgrading to a system that can pump 3000gph system for next year and increasing the hose size to 1.5" By moving to a pump like Hayward you will need to replace or adapt a few fittings but you will then have industry standard items which makes fixing and replacing much easier. If you want easy, then Intex has larger filtration systems available as well. My main reason for the upgrade is mostly wanting to add a fountain as well as a robo cleaner.

In the end it is really up to you as I did find even with the "stock" filtration that it was not all that hard to maintain a clean pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is an upgrade and I have absolutely no problem with the pump. Nothing on the surface has a chance with the skimmer and it moves the water great! We have an independent floor cleaner so that's not a consideration. My only problem is strictly the filter, Type B. I don't want to clean it once or twice a week. And maybe I don't need to. I was just doing it when it had some grub in it. Any guidance on that? If it's flowing good then it's okay? Maybe I'm good afterall. Haha.

I looked your filter up and think this is what you have:

From what I can see you have 2 hoses. 1 inlet, 1 outlet. This means there is a direct connection between the filter and the pump making it a single unit. The general consensus is Intex gives you the bare minimum filter size to get you by. Is this the "stock" unit that came with your pool? Many do recommend upgrading and in your case would be required purchasing a new pump and filter system.

For example my pool came with a 2100gph system. I will be upgrading to a system that can pump 3000gph system for next year and increasing the hose size to 1.5" By moving to a pump like Hayward you will need to replace or adapt a few fittings but you will then have industry standard items which makes fixing and replacing much easier. If you want easy, then Intex has larger filtration systems available as well. My main reason for the upgrade is mostly wanting to add a fountain as well as a robo cleaner.

In the end it is really up to you as I did find even with the "stock" filtration that it was not all that hard to maintain a clean pool.
Also, my pool is only 7600 gallons.

I do not have any experience with cartridge filter systems, as we always had a media filtration system. I would suspect that, if flow is good, maybe just visually check the filter for the amount of debris in it and find a happy medium where your not cleaning it bi-weekly. The amount of debris is going to vary based on many variables that will change through out the season. Even with my current filter I just backwashed it ever 2 weeks regardless as part of my Sunday morning chores.

I do not have any experience with cartridge filter systems, as we always had a media filtration system. I would suspect that, if flow is good, maybe just visually check the filter for the amount of debris in it and find a happy medium where your not cleaning it bi-weekly. The amount of debris is going to vary based on many variables that will change through out the season. Even with my current filter I just backwashed it ever 2 weeks regardless as part of my Sunday morning chores.
Thank you for your input. We don't have a lot of trouble variables unless we get fires... ugh... then ash. Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.