Sand Filter Problem

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
I don’t think there’s a fix for this except to replace it. I leave the drain cap off the sand filter in the winter. I learned the hard way if I don’t water can freeze and crack the laterals. Yesterday the cap wasn’t going on straight. I was still filling the pool and figured I was just cross threading it. Looking at it today something gnawed at the threads. I don’t see a way to fix this except for replacing the filter.

IMG_0319.jpeg

full

Reactions: JamesW
It’s fixed. I cut it off as squarely as I could then filed it the rest of the way. I then used 3 layers of rubber tape as a seal inside the cap so it isn’t leaking any longer.
Well I lied. It wasn't leaking until I turned the pump on. It leaks under pressure. I will try one more layer of tape inside the cap but I am not hopeful. I am also strongly considering just filling the drain with silicone sealant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.