Sand filter pressure with in-floor cleaning

Durangler

Jul 4, 2020
Peoria, AZ
New here and haven't gone through all the wonderful threads, but plan to begin reading.
I've got a in-floor, pop-up cleaning system. As the pop-ups cycle, the filter pressure fluctuates 10 psi or more. As one station is up and flowing, the filter pressure is lower. While changing stations, the pressure increases, until the next station pops up and the pressure drops. This occurs throughout the 6 cycles. This seems normal.
My question... how do I determine when to backwash? Note my pressure reading after backwash, when the pop ups are up and flowing (lower pressure) ?? That's what I'm doing currently, to know when the 20%-25% increase in pressure occurs.
Thanks

What you are doing sounds reasonable. The higher pressure during the station changes are artificial.

@proavia your thoughts?

Hmm - 10 psi seems a bit excessive. But all manufacturers design their systems differently. Do you know the manufacturer - or can you post pics of your water distribution valve and a pop-up or two?

Once we determine who the manufacturer is, maybe we can figure out whether yours is operating as the manufacturer intended.

In any case - as Allen @ajw22 indicated - what you are doing is certainly reasonible.... the clean pressure is when the pops on a zone are fully extended.

On my A&A system, the pressure increases when fully on one zone and drops about 3-4 psi as it cycles between two zones. So seems different then your system.

Gene
After some investigation, I found my original post was mixed up. I wrote from memory and had a couple things backward.:rolleyes: The in-floor cleaning system is an A & A system. Also, the pressure range is 3 psi when running at 2500 rpm and increases to 5 psi when running at 3300 psi (quick clean setting). Not 10 psi as I mentioned earlier. Also, yes, when the heads are up and flowing, the pressure is greater. So, I can assume when the higher pressure increases 20-25% is the time to backwash?
Sorry for the confusion, Thanks.

No worries... use the pressure when the pop-ups are fully extended. It sounds like your infloor is operating correctly - a 3-5 psi difference when cycling thru the zones on an A&A system is quite normal. Please add the type/manufacturer of infloor to your signature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.