Sand Filter Losing Sand in Backwash

joronimo

Jun 4, 2019
Phoenix, Az
Hi all, I have a Hayward sand filter (S244T) that lets a little sand out during backwashing. I haven't noticed any in the pool, only in the backwash. Does anyone have any ides as to what might cause this? I replaced the sand and "key seal assembly" in November, so I'm guessing the gasket tore. I am planning to take it apart this weekend and see what I find but thought I would try here first.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! :wave: The spider gasket would be my first area to inspect as well. Make sure it has some lube and didn't just get pinched. While not a proven method or stated in all manuals, some owners only turn their MPV one direction in hopes of avoiding a pinching situation. May not apply here, but you never know. Let us know how it turns out.

Maybe you overfilled the sand? On backwash, things get churned up pretty good inside the filter, what with the water entering from below and inside (from laterals) rather than following the normal gravitational flow. I could see if "boiling over" if the sand was a little high and/or the pump is a bit oversized. As long as no sand is escaping into the pool, I would ignore it personally

Maybe you overfilled the sand? On backwash, things get churned up pretty good inside the filter, what with the water entering from below and inside (from laterals) rather than following the normal gravitational flow. I could see if "boiling over" if the sand was a little high and/or the pump is a bit oversized. As long as no sand is escaping into the pool, I would ignore it personally

Thanks Richard! I put in the 300 lbs required (easy with 50 lb bags) and the pump was fine before and initially after.

I'll just let it run as is if there aren't any issues when I look at the valve. Is it safe to assume nothing bad will happen if running the filter when low on sand (other than not filtering)?

Welcome! :wave: The spider gasket would be my first area to inspect as well. Make sure it has some lube and didn't just get pinched. While not a proven method or stated in all manuals, some owners only turn their MPV one direction in hopes of avoiding a pinching situation. May not apply here, but you never know. Let us know how it turns out.

TexasSplash, is there any kind of lube that can be applied to the gaskets while installed? It would have to pass through the filter and pool so I'm guessing no.

Thanks Richard! I put in the 300 lbs required (easy with 50 lb bags) and the pump was fine before and initially after.

I'll just let it run as is if there aren't any issues when I look at the valve. Is it safe to assume nothing bad will happen if running the filter when low on sand (other than not filtering)?
Low on sand would mean poor filtering. A bad spider gasket could also cause a little of that but the big fear is a leak out the waste pipe whenever the pump is on. If you've got it hard plumbed, you'd never know.

is there any kind of lube that can be applied to the gaskets while installed?
Not that I'm aware of. The pool silicone lube is generally quite pasty and needs to be applied manually. But if you pop the lid on yoru multiport to inspect, if there is no visible defetcs you hsould be able to apply the lube at that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.