Sand Filter Leaking... repair? replace? How do I keep it from happening (2nd time...)

keetman

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 4, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a Pentair Sand Dollar (SD80) sand filter. It is approximately 6 years old. I noticed in the spring that it was leaking around the top where the valve is clamped on. I was able to tighten up the clamp and stop the leak. A few weeks ago I notice a pin hole leak in the seam where the filter is molded together. It obviously can't be clamped. I have tried to repair the leak with silicone and marine epoxy. With the epoxy I even took the valve off and epoxied both the inside and outside of the pin hole. The pressure overcame the epoxy and weakened the seal rendering it useless.

In order to use the filter, I have to account for the water loss and add some every couple of days. Obviously, I need to find a new option for repairing it or buy a new one. I am ok getting a new one, but it does seem like a waste if there's a way to repair it. I'm curious if anyone else has seen something like this and if there is a product or remedy that I don't know about.

Also, I would like to know if there is something I'm possibly doing wrong. We had this pool installed in 2014, so this is our 10th season. In 2017 this exact same issue occurred and I just bought a new one and replaced the sand and filter. I could possibly be causing this, but I wouldn't know and thought I'd ask. I don't have any reason to believe that, but I do find it odd that it's happened to me twice now. It is possible that they're just prone to this malfunction or maybe it's just another piece of junk from Pentair (I have a lot of bad words I usually use when talking about their products).

Anyway... is there a way to repair it? Should I just replace it? If replacing, should I go with another manufacturer? Am I possibly causing the problem?

For info.... I'm in Central Ohio and usually have the pool opened from April to mid-October. The pump runs in 4 hour cycles every day. I manage the sanitation of the pool with liquid chlorine (and a testing kit) and try to adhere to the procedures I've learned here. I backwash the filter maybe once a month.

Attachments

• 20230522_111513.jpg
    20230522_111513.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230522_111539.jpg
    20230522_111539.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230729_110830.jpg
    20230729_110830.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230729_110841.jpg
    20230729_110841.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230729_110842.jpg
    20230729_110842.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230729_110848.jpg
    20230729_110848.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 8
I'm afraid that filter is toast. :( No way to repair that, and honestly it's not safe. Too much pressure. For now, place the MPV on recirculate and bypass the filter until you can get a new one.

Yea, I figured as much. I just don't understand why I will have to be putting a third filter in, in 10 years. That seems unreasonable to me.

Thank you.

I just don't understand why I will have to be putting a third filter in, in 10 years. That seems unreasonable to me.
I would be frustrated as well. What horsepower is your pump? What rpm do you usually run it at?

If the pump pressure isn't exceptionally high, with nothing odd in the pressure gauge, the only thing I can think of is perhaps the vessel(s) was damaged over the winter.

I hear ya - my Pac-Fab stainless tank filter only lasted 27 years. Nothing is made to last (grin). Seriously - there were warnings about air in the tank with my new Pentair cartridge filter. Because air compresses, the water pressure can bring trapped air to extremely high pressures. So perhaps some of that. Although I would expect a larger, more "explosive" sort of damage. But maybe just enough to break through at the seam/joints. Have you had issues of having to bleed off air from the relief valve during routine operation?

Otherwise, I have to go with Texas Splash - perhaps winter damage, or your conclusion - bad product.

I ordered a new filter. I did not get a Pentair. I bought a Carvin Laser Sand Filter. I don't have any idea if it's better than the Pentair. It was about $300 cheaper, so if I get 3-6 years out of it, I'm still ahead of buying more Pentair Crud. I have the same issue with the Pentair LED lights. I've decided there is absolutely no reason to pay Pentair prices if they're going to produce junk that doesn't last and they won't stand behind.

Thanks for your responses.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I ordered a new filter. I did not get a Pentair. I bought a Carvin Laser Sand Filter. I don't have any idea if it's better than the Pentair. It was about $300 cheaper, so if I get 3-6 years out of it, I'm still ahead of buying more Pentair Crud. I have the same issue with the Pentair LED lights. I've decided there is absolutely no reason to pay Pentair prices if they're going to produce junk that doesn't last and they won't stand behind.

Thanks for your responses.
Sand Dollar filters don't have the burst strength of others and the warning is in the info, especially if a spa is used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.