Sand Filter Issues!

Jul 2, 2012
Central MS
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted here. I bet there's a lot of activity lately from people trying to get their pools ready for the season (like me)!

Let's start with my sand filter. Over the winter, I noticed a small trickle leak around the plastic clamp on my sand filter. It was very small though, figured I'd put off working on it until the Spring. It eventually got a little faster, to the point where if I ran it 8 hours a day, I might have to add a little water every week or so. I started researching and working on this thing 2 weeks ago. One of the main challenges was figuring out which brand and model sand filter I had. I bought the house back in 2012, and the previous owners had installed it sometime in 2005 (engraved date on equipment pad concrete). The label on the filter housing was completely faded, torn, and peeled so much to the extent that no information could've been derived from it. After looking at the multi-port valve, I could tell very quickly that it was at least a Pentair. After taking some measurements (43in tall, 24.5in diameter)...I deduced that it was more than likely a Tagelus TA60D (close enough to my measurements). I was shocked because it seemed like overkill on my 16Kish gallon pool, with a 1hp pump. 325 lbs of sand!

I thought about (and should've) just bought another smaller filter better suited for my needs, and saving trying to salvage the old one - but after thinking about the cost and work of installing a new one...I figured I'd give the old one a shot. I started ordering and amassing whatever parts I thought I needed, because I'd hate to have to order and wait with the pool out of commission. So I ordered the multiport valve figuring I might as well replace it for less than $100. I aslo bought a couple of new laterals just in case, some plumbing elbows and compression fittings (for if I ever have to do this in the future), a Harbor Freight shop vac, and 7x 50lb bags of pool sand from the big box store.

Last night, I started opening everything up. I removed the two screws for the plastic clamp, and sure enough - I found the reason for the leak. A dang colony of ants were making themselves cozy on the flange/nut adapter. There was also some thick, white crystals around the flange adapter that I think they were feasting on. I'm not sure if it was calcium buildup or salt (my pool is salt water)...but it looked like really big salt granules. I grab my ant kill spray and went to town. They had brown/red bodies and black heinies...so either carpenter ants or fire ants judging from the pictures I looked at today of the different species. I cut the plumbing, removed the multiport valve, and unscrewed the flange nut adapter. I grabbed a putty knife and a few grits of sand paper and started scraping off whatever those crystals were around the opening after I capped the standpipe. I sanded around the opening to create a better mating surface and seal for when I button everything up later. My next steps are 1) remove the sand from the body (draining it via the plug took way longer than I expected)...2) Wash the inside thoroughly and inspect the laterals...3) Possibly paint the body (sanding it made the top look really worn out)....4) Refill with sand...5) grease up the o-rings and finally reinstall the new valve and plumbing connections.

Now for advice and questions. First - what were those crystals behind the plastic clamp? And please don't ask - "What'd they taste like??" lol. I googled this forum and the web and couldn't find anything. Second - Any advice on this project from the vets out there? Things to watch out for in general or on my model specifically? I've watched a few youtube vids and read some literature on the process and feel very comfortable with the project - but there's always good ole Murphy standing by, lurking in the shadows!

Thanks in advance!!

Reactions: Divin Dave
It's central Mississippi - pool and Jeep season 9 months out of the year, lol. Last night, I cleaned all the sand out from the body. I was originally going to use the shop vac...but I removed the larger threaded port, and it was wayyyy easier. Made a huge mess around the pad though. I have one of those wands for a water hose that speeds up the velocity a little, but not nearly to the point of a pressure washer. It was very handy to have. Whoever says that sand doesn't need to be changed needed to see the inside of my barrel. It was weird...it had caked-up gray sand on the edges of the body...and the normal looking sand in the middle. I could easily see why my pool seemed to not filter as well as it used to. It was like the sand got hard, and the water created the same "avenues" through the sand. So maybe you don't have to change the sand - but you should at least open the thing up and churn up the sand every so often. Within 30-45 mins - I had all the sand out.

I got scared because I started to inspect the laterals, and found broken white pieces of plastic at the bottom...but all my laterals were in tact. I unscrewed all 8 of them from the standpipe, and removed them to get to the broken plastic. After researching on this forum - it turns out that the mfg uses a heated urethane glue to hold the center stabilizer in place for the standpipe. Over time, the urethane becomes very brittle and eventually just crumbles to pieces. I don't think it's necessary when I assemble everything back together - as long as I'm careful to keep the pipe centered.

But last night, with the sand out and inside completely cleaned...I only got around to priming the body. I figured I'd go with a matte black for the color...possibly to add just a little bit of heat. Probably won't add any heat really - but why not, if I decided to paint it anyway :) ? So yeah, tonight - put the final coats of paint on the body and let dry...then add sand/put it all back together tomorrow. It's a decent bargain - the filter retails between $450 and $500 new...and I spent maybe $160 on the valve, pool sand, and random plumbing parts. Just a little time is all...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.