Sand Filter Issues

bigzeto

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 22, 2014
Baton Rouge, LA
Ok guys, this post may be a little long, but I want to provide as much detail as I can to hopefully get this problem resolved. I have done a lot of searching and research already and have a few ideas, but I wanted to post here as to get more ideas. So a few months back I started helping a guy with his pool because he just did not have the time to maintain it anymore. His chemicals were all out of whack, and everything with that is now good. But the issue is with sand getting into the pool. When I started maintaining it, sand would always get in, and I would vacuum the pool, and the next week, sand would be right back in the pool. I asked him how long the sand has been getting into the pool, and he said he believes it was at the beginning of Spring. He finally wanted to get this sand situation fixed, so he asked if I could change out the sand and inspect/change out the laterals. So I did that 2 weekends ago. Used the proper #20 silica sand, changed out the laterals even though the existing ones looked in good condition. I inspected the multiport valve and it looked good as well, and I put a little lube on the spider gasket. Performed a thorough backwash and rinse after the sand change as recommended. The only thing that didn't get changed out was the pipe that the laterals connect to a the bottom of the filter, but from what I could see, it looked ok. Well, after all that, sand is continuing to get into the pool and it's a good amount of sand. I have put socks over the 2 returns and they are collecting a lot of sand. From the pics, you will see that the Pentair Pump is a 1.5 HP pump, but the motor is actually rated at 2.25 HP. I asked the owner when the motor was replaced, and he said it was at the beginning of the Spring season. So is it possible the motor is too powerful for the pump or too powerful for the filter. The filter is a Hayward S244S, which is rated for 62 GPM. I'm just at a loss as to what to do next.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180708_180749.jpg
    MVIMG_20180708_180749.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 45
  • MVIMG_20180811_101924.jpg
    MVIMG_20180811_101924.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 42
  • MVIMG_20180811_101941.jpg
    MVIMG_20180811_101941.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 41
I have this sand filter. It's a good one.

Others have found while replacing laterals or standpipe, that even upon close inspection, at times the damage
is not really seen. There has to be a crack or cracks somewhere causing the sand to come out.

At this point I would take it all apart and make sure all new internals (laterals and standpipe) are replaced
if you can't find the cracks.

And just to be VERY careful gently putting the sand back in so it doesn't damage the new components.

Borjis, it looks like you have the top mounted version according to your signature. On the side mounted version, there is a pipe at the top where the water comes in, and the outlet pipe at the bottom that the laterals connect to. So my thinking is that maybe there is a crack somewhere in that assembly or that the pump/motor is too powerful for the filter?

hhmmm good point about the motor. I think mine was sized to the filter. I'll bow out of this so someone with more knowledge can reply.

Still though, I don't think these things can push sand out unless there is damage somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.