Sand Filter in Basement - Drain Ideas to Change Pump

bakedziti

Sep 20, 2021
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hello,

I’m back with my janky pool setup for another summer here in Buffalo and have encountered yet another head scratcher with our now second year-new to us pool. Some may recall my setup from last winter when attempting to close the pool before the snow and the trouble encountered with getting the lines cleared.

This time around, I’m swapping our pool pump before we get the pool opened for the year (ya, I know, it’s late already) because it leaks while off and doesn’t seem to move enough water.

Legend has it (from our neighbor who’s been in the neighborhood since it was built in 1956) that our gunite pool was put in by the original owner of the house, so I’m doubtful we’re entirely up to code and know that we have a setup that’s less than ideal. I’m not here for suggestions to add $5k in equipment or move the equipment, just ideas on how to drain my filter and change the pump, both of which are below the water line and in my basement. Additionally, the current pump sits below the inlets of the sand filter which I’m assuming is part of my issue.

So - the lines into the house from the pool are still closed, but for info, we have the main drain, one suction pipe (literally 1/2 inch pipe nothing more, no skimmer etc), and our single return line. All are still closed.

Then we have our .75 HP Hayward pump that sits about 8-10” below the inlet of the sand filter AND I’m pretty positive our multi-port spider gasket was destroyed by the PO of the home because it will always send water to the waste line unless I close the line itself - oh and that waste line empties into a mess sink in our basement out to the sewer.

I had a very minimal amount of water left in the pump and the flexible lines after blowing them out last year before the winter, so I went to remove the inlet flexible line (swapping to hardlines with the new pump) but as soon as I cracked the seal to the flexible line, water rushed down from the sand filter and back into the pump. I’ve come to find that we don’t have an air relief valve either, so I’m a bit stuck on how to cleanly release the pressure from the sand filter and pump to change out the pump.

I could use the drain plug, but my basement is half finished and while the pool equipment isn’t on that side, I’d really prefer not to have a small pool in my basement. To make things worse, our brand new washer and dryer is about 3 feet from the pump and filter.

I’d like to change that spider gasket as well, and should likely do the sand, but I need to get the water out of the filter to keep my basement dry.

Any thoughts?

The last issue is that the old pump does not have a bonding wire while the new one does, but I think I can use the copper inlet/outlets with an approved clamp for that. It’s always something with this pool, but rarely is it an enjoyment for me.

Attachments

• 562C8C81-4190-4636-8BE4-A462FF0F7274.jpeg
    562C8C81-4190-4636-8BE4-A462FF0F7274.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 19
Is the return line close to your ceiling above the water level of the pool? If so you can cut the pipe and put a valve in up there and not make to much of a mess (if it's below you could close the valves on the inlet side of the pump and drain water from the filter drain to empty the return line and not make a mess). On the inlet side of the pump it looks like there are two valves that you could close. Once you get that done, adding a tee so you can vent and another tee on a low point for a drain would be handy (would not have to use the drain on the filter)

Also add a water leak sensor so you know when something has gone awry before you find out by stepping in a puddle or finding your pool water has moved to your basement.

I would pull the drain plug on the pump (if it has one). It's a small hole and easy to control. direct it to a 5 gallon bucket, and swap out buckets as one gets full. Since you are replumbing, you have a lot of options after that. Either put in a drain valve for the future, or move your pump to put it above the filter. Put in Isolation valves in front of / behind each component, maybe a bypass line around your filter. Lots of options to play with.

Hi everyone,

First, thank you for your replies and my apologies for the delayed response; while we don’t live on the East side or right in the city anymore, the weekend after creating this post was obviously a trying time here in Buffalo and I paused the pool and pump install for a week as my company gave me time to volunteer following the recent events.

I’m happy to say that the new pump and lines have finally been completed and have been running overnight to help clear our now pond of a pool. I did run into a few issues with my threaded connections, and have been very surprised to hear that 2-3 wraps of Teflon tape is nowhere near enough with the general suggestion I got after both the inlet and outlets leaked was 12-20 wraps - I didn’t believe it or think I could thread the connections but it’s true and worked.

Thankfully I now have unions and ball valves between each of the components so I can take everything apart, clean, and maintain. There are a couple of more items I would like to take care of in the future, but I couldn’t hold off my fiancé any longer so they’ll have to wait. A big one is finishing the pump’s drain plug line that will now run into our HVAC’s humidifier waste line an directly into our sump pump in the basement. I’m also planning to swap the main line’s ball valve to an electronic one or to a long handled metal valve so I can add a remote actuator to a moisture sensor that will allow me to be alerted of a leak, cut power to the pump and ultimately turn off the water supply into the house so I can get some sleep or go on vacation.

Now I’m just hoping that my new pump lasts because I bought an off brand 1.5hp pump for $150 brand new. I’m also keeping our old Hayward pump and plan to use it on the pool deck to vacuum without using our filter being that we have a waste line into the sump pump right next to the pool or may even pick up a second hand cartridge filter to use on the deck and return the water into the pool.

Thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• AB8E2CF1-2734-48C5-8376-DA31641B2245.jpeg
    AB8E2CF1-2734-48C5-8376-DA31641B2245.jpeg
    394.8 KB · Views: 8
  • A241929D-9F30-4647-B9CB-854A84DFF041.jpeg
    A241929D-9F30-4647-B9CB-854A84DFF041.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: kne and newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.