Sand filter for new pool?

I’d say if the pool get lots of rain that fills up the pool constantly, a sand filter seems to be just fine since you can backwash our the extra water for a free cleaning. If water shortage or cost was an issue, I’d go for the cartridge filter. After seeing the mess that happens with my fathers DE filter when it has to get cleaned, I wouldn’t want to mess with all that.
I see your point but then I don't. A cartridge filter could care less if there's a water shortage or expensive water, if the time comes to clean it has to be done. On the same token a large sand filter will give you the same mileage the cartridge would before you'd need to backwash so the analogy you give doesn't pan out. Simply put its all in the eye of the beholder. I have all combinations of pools and filters and can't convince myself anyone of them is better then the next. It's more about how diligent the owners are with what they have.

Reactions: Newdude
I see your point but then I don't. A cartridge filter could care less if there's a water shortage or expensive water, if the time comes to clean it has to be done. On the same token a large sand filter will give you the same mileage the cartridge would before you'd need to backwash so the analogy you give doesn't pan out. Simply put its all in the eye of the beholder. I have all combinations of pools and filters and can't convince myself anyone of them is better then the next. It's more about how diligent the owners are with what they have.
Backwashing a sand filter is typically done more often than cleaning a cartridge filter if I believe some of the users around here that do it twice a year and I'm assuming takes much more water to clean than a cartridge. I probably backwash 4 times during the season but could maybe get away with twice if needed. It just rains so much that the pool fills up and I have drain it a bit anyway, so I figure why not clean the filter doing it.

And my opinion is both would be a good choice for me, but I wouldn't choose a DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.