Sand Filter for 10' Intex?

kknapik

Feb 1, 2021
NY
I have had a 10' Intex pool for a few years now, and I am interested in learning more about sand filters. Is it even worth the price for a small 10' pool? Which one would be recommended? Any additional accessories/adapters that I would need? Thanks!

Are you having specific issues with your Intex cartridge filter? I have an Intex sand filter that came with my 26' Intex, it works fine but it's a little small, so I tend to have to backwash it a bit. However backwashing is quick and easy (but does waste some water).

My understanding is the Intex cartridge filters are just too small, not like the cartridge filters used on permanent pools. I've seen people with smaller Intex pools that came with cartridge filters upgrade to an Intex sand filter and bigger pump and be happy with that.

But the bottom line is I wouldn't upgrade filter/pump unless you have a specific reason to do so.

By the way welcome to TFP!

Are you having specific issues with your Intex cartridge filter? I have an Intex sand filter that came with my 26' Intex, it works fine but it's a little small, so I tend to have to backwash it a bit. However backwashing is quick and easy (but does waste some water).

My understanding is the Intex cartridge filters are just too small, not like the cartridge filters used on permanent pools. I've seen people with smaller Intex pools that came with cartridge filters upgrade to an Intex sand filter and bigger pump and be happy with that.

But the bottom line is I wouldn't upgrade filter/pump unless you have a specific reason to do so.

By the way welcome to TFP!

Thanks for your response! We go through a ton of cartridges and I was looking for an option to 1.) save some money and time with the cartridges and 2.) have heard that the water is much cleaner and clearer with sand filter. I am so new at this!

This is like the Goldilocks story and the sand filter for my 18' Intex is "just right". It might be too big for the 10 and too small for the 26.
It keeps my pool clean with minimal effort and the sand lasts all season. It's probably worth it if the current filter is not keeping your pool clean.

Reactions: kknapik
I think the 1st intex sand filter i got was 1200 gph - the smallest one they make - i had a 12’ pool. It made all the difference in the world. I could actually vacuum! Sadly I don’t think they make that size anymore

Scratch that- I found the newer version on Amazon for $195. Its a shame u r so far away as I would just give u my old one- it still works. Maybe u might check the resale sites or fb for someone selling or giving one away as well.

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. People get upset at their too small filter and praise the bigger filter of another style when it does the trick. If you get a bigger filter it will work better either way.

At some point it becomes overkill but you will definitely appreciate going at least some larger than you actually need. :)

This is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. People get upset at their too small filter and praise the bigger filter of another style when it does the trick. If you get a bigger filter it will work better either way.

At some point it becomes overkill but you will definitely appreciate going at least some larger than you actually need. :)

We actually did upgrade once already to the 1550GPH, and I am still not happy with it. That is why I was thinking of going to sand...and to save money on cartridges.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We actually did upgrade once already to the 1550GPH
Sometimes if you were greatly undersized you have to go up a few sizes just to break even. And then we recommend going larger for your own benefit, even though technically the ‘right size’ is ok.

The Intex style systems are the worst and give cartridges a bad rap overall. I’ve seen models on here that compared to my 375 gallon hot tub, for pools with 10X or more gallons.

I have had a 10' Intex pool for a few years now, and I am interested in learning more about sand filters. Is it even worth the price for a small 10' pool? Which one would be recommended? Any additional accessories/adapters that I would need? Thanks!
Kind of overkill for a 10’ pool and they are priced higher right now due to the pandemic. Maybe if you could find a small used one for cheap? I just wouldn’t spend that kind of money on a filter for a 10’ pool. There are cartridge filters that are better than the one that came with your pool. I would invest in one of those instead. Much cheaper!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.