Sand Filter drain threads are finally too stripped to work - any ideas?

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
We bought our house ten plus years ago and every year I've been able to get the plug to thread onto the filter drain well enough to not leak despite there not being much left in the way of threads on the filter drain. This year I couldn't get it to catch at all.

I put a fernco fitting on the filter with a plug on the other end and it's fine with the pump off but there's a steady drip with the pump running.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying a new filter?

Is it possible to just buy the filter vessel (or whatever it's called) and reuse my guts?

And last question if I go with a new filter does replacing it with a similar sized sand filter make the most sense or are there other options worth considering? Any suggestions on where to buy a new filter?

Thanks!

The tank is almost the same price as a whole new filter. And finding just the tank it more difficult. Try searching for a used one to see if you can get one cheaper.

I believe the tanks are polyethylene, which most adhesives don't bond well to. I would guess you would want to keep the option to drain the tank, so sealing it off is not an option.

You could try this LOCTITE® PLASTICS BONDING SYSTEM if you can find a fitting or valve that you can fit over the threads. You you will need to drain the tank and do this when everything is dry.

You could also try a hose clamp like this on your fernco that can clamp tighter McMaster-Carr or something like this McMaster-Carr

If the fernco fitting does not fit well try a hose that fits better. on the end of the hose you can usually install a barb fitting and a valve or cap on to that.

The tank is almost the same price as a whole new filter. And finding just the tank it more difficult. Try searching for a used one to see if you can get one cheaper.

I believe the tanks are polyethylene, which most adhesives don't bond well to. I would guess you would want to keep the option to drain the tank, so sealing it off is not an option.

You could try this LOCTITE® PLASTICS BONDING SYSTEM if you can find a fitting or valve that you can fit over the threads. You you will need to drain the tank and do this when everything is dry.

You could also try a hose clamp like this on your fernco that can clamp tighter McMaster-Carr or something like this McMaster-Carr

If the fernco fitting does not fit well try a hose that fits better. on the end of the hose you can usually install a barb fitting and a valve or cap on to that.
thanks - it's hard to tell because it's hard to access but I believe it may be leaking from the bottom of the fernco so a hose and cap may just work

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.