Sand coming out while backwashing

Re: Sand coming out while backwashing

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Who installed the sand filter? What is the model number? How much sand was added?
What type of backwash valve do you have?
Can you post a picture of the plumbing?

We installed. I'll get model number an name of manufacturer the backwash value you have to push down turn to slot and release and yes I will post a picture of the plumbing that me and my husband done not the greatest I guess we're trying the directions that came with the pump might as well be in another language other than English. Oh wait it does. Lol. because I don't understands it. Info on dials are nothing, basically nothing about pressure anything so we've been working on info from google we put a hundred and fifty pounds of sand in

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I just purchased a long backwash hose ,
293651a9bcee86ca47d5c8e542920df3.jpg
be0dd5ed8ffde36f49a53ca2c398ac27.jpg
e25a5b2aabcab26d1b935ee411aa95be.jpg
6e33f18cb9ea7704bdef500d007c657a.jpg
bee1be486f8a6111ab56206159b85acf.jpg
1476a8f7a8512b4a0917ad22fe36006e.jpg
08653b557c5cbbc0756b91883aa626f8.jpg

What is the filter size? You posted pictures of the multi-port valve and the pump stickers, but not the filter.

It looks plumbed correctly. Is there any way the top portion of the valve could have gotten clocked to the wrong position?

What sand did you use?

When did you see all the sand coming out, was it really in the backwash position? The picture is in the Rinse position.

Yes it was in the backwash position. An when u say what filter size is,that the container with the laterals in it other than that I don't know where any other filter would be. We purchased sand for it at a pool store they were 50lb a bags. An sand came out after we loaded it an filled it with water the first time an tried to backwash sand as the pool store told us to do before use on pool.

pink,

I do not own a sand filter, but would "assume" that after initially filling it with sand, that you would get a little sand in your first backwash.

How much sand came out and how long did you run it?

Have you tried it again?

Thanks,

Jim R.

pink,

I do not own a sand filter, but would "assume" that after initially filling it with sand, that you would get a little sand in your first backwash.

How much sand came out and how long did you run it?

Have you tried it again?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes , I've tried it 3 times an the amount of sand was about 30 cups full at a good guess .after trying g 3 times we had to add more sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is possible that you've over filled it with too much sand. If it's a model SD35 than it only needs 100lbs not 150. Anytime a sand filter has too much sand it will naturally expel the excess during backwash until it gets to around the correct filled level. When back washing all the sand is lifted and as this happens the dirt is displaced and lifted through the grid on the underside of the multiport. If theres too much sand the water pressure during back washing will force all that extra sand up higher and out to waste.

If it happens to be a SD40 then it does require 150lbs of sand and there is something seriously wrong with the multiport.

IT'S A SD40 150 LBS OF SAND IS THE REQUIRED AMOUNT. THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTIONS. WE'RE JUST GOING TO START AS IF IT WAS NEW AN SEE IF THERE WAS A MISTAKE WITH ASSEMBLY, SENCE IT WAS USES WHEN WE GOT IT.

James has already explained the issue, the pump will push almost 3 times the amount of water that the filter can handle during backwash.

I can't explain why SAM's paired them together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay thanks. Not sure why they would sell this an a unit , I'll have to talk to manufacturer see why that they're misleading their customers by selling improper products together thank you guys for your help have a good day

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.