Sand coming out of return

kschmidt1

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2015
Grandy, NC
Hi all - Need some advice. Neighbor and I have Hayward sand filters. She closed pool, I did not. Decided to do deep clean of filters several weeks ago.. Started with hers. Did not attach pump, just started by capping filter drain and started adding water using hose to gently poke around. Got quite a bit of crud floating out of top of filter, but could not do backwash since pump was not hooked up. Didn't even think about the backwash aspect when she hooked up filter few days ago and started water circulating and filtering pool. Since then, sand has been coming thru return into pool. Is this what would have come out if backwash has been done as soon as cleaning was finished, or something else?

A small amount of sand showed up in the looking glass of my filter when I backwashed after cleaning, but have not had any other problems.

Any thoughts?
Thanks. Karen

Thank you for being a Lifetime TFP Supporter! Congratulations on the deep cleans! I've only done it once, but I've studied it some, here's what I've got. I'll call in someone even more senior to double check me though.

Generally speaking, sand constantly coming out the returns is the result of one or more laterals being damaged during the deep clean - usually from a hose getting too close to them or hitting them. For some great pictures of the lateral assembly, scroll down in the deep clean article here. Replacement laterals are usually available and seem to cost between $10-20 each. If you think the hose might have rammed one, it might be best to remove them and inspect for damage - which would appear as part of the grid being missing, letting sand through.

Other potential issues might be a loose/disconnected (but undamaged lateral), a spider/multiport leak, or the lateral connection to the multiport being loose. All of these require some manual labor to investigate, but I'll invite it someone to make sure I'm not missing anything, so hold off on starting it until they verify.

Doesn't look like a tough job, just messy and time consuming.
Yes, and a bit awkward perhaps trying to get in there to remove the sand. Perhaps some scooping followed by a ShopVac if you have one. Once you get the center standpipe and laterals exposed take care in getting them out as to not damage anything. Inspect very carefully as sometimes the gap is as simple as the knuckle area where the lateral arm got moved at the hub. Depends on it your laterals flip & snap into place or are screwed into place. Since the sand issue only seemed to happen after the deep clean, hopefully that's where the suspect area is. Good luck and let us know.

Just a reminder, the sand never expires or wears out, so you can reuse it - just be nice and careful putting it back in so as not to damage the laterals (new or replaced). Since there might be a few microscope nasties in the sand still, wash hands before touching your face or eating when working with it.

Ask any questions/post any pics you like, we're here for you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.