Sand colored particles along bottom edges of pool

phess

Aug 19, 2007
I have particles on the bottom of my pool that re-appear approx 1 hour after I vaccuum them out of the pool. They resemble sand in color, but they are not sand particles. They tend to disovle into the water if I brush them. They tend to form in lines along the seams on the slope from the shallow in to the deep end as well as ring the seams along the deep end. They are also form on the shallow end in sporatic circles or spots. I have tried algy busters but that does not solve the problem.

This is the first season on my new liner. I have a two yr old sand filter with new regular sand this season. I used the Zeobrite sand last season. I installed the AquaRite SWG this season and pool balance is basically good except that I can not get ride of this substance. I sweep the pool, backwash the filter, & the substance begins re-appearing in about an hr. Yesterday after I swept the pool, I turned the pump off to see if the material would re-appear. It did return but to a much smaller amount. I turned the pump on today and I got the normal amount of substance back within an hour. It's as if this material disolves when swept and settles back into the pool upon re-circulation. I have tried several times sweeping while backwashing to by-pass the filter, but the material returns.

Any suggestions???

I have the same issues. I once thought it was mustard algae, but I have ruled that out. It seems to be pollen/silt that either drops into my pool, enters through a bad pipe, washes in with the rain or blows in with the wind.

Mine is not too bad, and I only vacuum once a week. With that said my pool rarely stays completely clean for very long.

Has your chlorine usage changed? Does it hold overnight?

Riles

Dave S.

The nbrs for the pool tested by my local pool supply shop were
CYA 71
Tot CL 1.3
PH 8.2
Tot Akl 219.

They tested for copper and none detected. This has stumped them as well.

Thx...phess

I am not sure about the particles on the bottom, but you do need to adjust your chemistry.

With CYA around 70 and a SWG you neet to keep your chlorine at at least 3 and preferably a little more than that to give you some margin.

Your TA is fairly high. That means your PH is going to drift up fairly quickly. You either need to keep a better eye on the PH, 8.2 is too high, or lower your TA so that the PH doesn't need to be monitored so closely.

How high do you have it set for now? You should need to not quite double the percentage, which may or may not be around 100%. Turn it up some and see what happens. If, after a couple of days, that wasn't enough turn it up some more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.