Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
Hi
New pool owner, first month with the pool open. We’ve recently had some heavy rain, and friends over swimming, today the chlorine levels in the pool are very close to zero. I have the salt water machine up to “Super Max” for about an hour but the chlorine levels have not rose.
Wondering if I need to add more pool salt, or just wait for the machine to do it’s thing? Thanks

Add some liquid chlorine to bring you FC level back up. You SWCG will take quite some time to replenish enough chlorine to prevent algae. Household bleach will work.

I would assume your pool is ~10000 gallons, the size you stated above with 4' average depth, and that the chlorine is 10%. Add a gallon to the pool. That is 10ppm FC.

Reactions: Jer34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! Also how long should I wait before swimming after adding the liquid chlorine?
First off, welcome to TFP!

I would give it about 30 minutes, but even that is a little on the cautious side. ;)

While you are waiting, many of your "new to you" pool questions can be answered by perusing this: Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Jer34 and mknauss
I would assume your pool is ~10000 gallons, the size you stated above with 4' average depth, and that the chlorine is 10%. Add a gallon to the pool. That is 10ppm FC.
Hi I added the liquid chlorine the other day but this morning we have more algae. I just added more chlorine before I left for work, hopefully that’ll help....do I also need to add more pool salt?

Hi I added the liquid chlorine the other day but this morning we have more algae. I just added more chlorine before I left for work, hopefully that’ll help....do I also need to add more pool salt?
There is no magic solution that will fix this quickly as it seems though you would like (wouldn't we all?) The SLAM process is the best and fastest way to accomplish a perfectly clear and safe pool but it will take AT LEAST a couple/few days...you have to patient and persistent. Just adding a gallon of chlorine here or there when it's "green" isn't going to fix it.

There is no magic solution that will fix this quickly as it seems though you would like (wouldn't we all?) The SLAM process is the best and fastest way to accomplish a perfectly clear and safe pool but it will take AT LEAST a couple/few days...you have to patient and persistent. Just adding a gallon of chlorine here or there when it's "green" isn't going to fix it.
Thank you, I’ve added the liquid chlorine 2 days in a row now, will do it again today. Algae is starting to go down. FC levels are moderate - high, it’s okay to keep adding? Also is there anything I can do to prevent algae from returning in the future? Thanks again for all the help, this is all trial and error for me as it’s my first month with a pool

Thank you, I’ve added the liquid chlorine 2 days in a row now, will do it again today. Algae is starting to go down. FC levels are moderate - high, it’s okay to keep adding? Also is there anything I can do to prevent algae from returning in the future? Thanks again for all the help, this is all trial and error for me as it’s my first month with a pool
The trial and error has been done for you; over and over by countless other folks. It is a proven method and it will work 100% of the time IF YOU FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC INSTRUTIONS.

If you haven't read the Pool School thoroughly (and don't understand thoroughly) then I think you should re-read. It's a lot of information to take in but trust me...it's an investment that WILL save you time and money. Also, as MKNAUSS posted...the info you are looking for to clear your pool is here.

The trial and error has been done for you; over and over by countless other folks. It is a proven method and it will work 100% of the time IF YOU FOLLOW THE SPECIFIC INSTRUTIONS.

If you haven't read the Pool School thoroughly (and don't understand thoroughly) then I think you should re-read. It's a lot of information to take in but trust me...it's an investment that WILL save you time and money. Also, as MKNAUSS posted...the info you are looking for to clear your pool is here.
The aggressive caps locks doesn’t help, not sure why you’re yelling, I’m just asking questions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.