Saltwater 8000 vs saltwater lx @ pool factory

Dec 20, 2016
CARROLLTON, TX.
My question is about these 2 pools, I believe the only difference between the 2 is the color. Can anyone talk about if darker top rails really get "too hot to touch"?

The LX darker uprights and top rail fit our color scheme much better. We plan on doing a semi underground install w/ a 1/4 to 1/2 deck. So when sitting on the deck, one may have their legs draped across that top rail, here in Dallas I'm concerned that top rail will get to hot.

I have the LX, the dark top rails do get hot in the summer sun but it hasn't really been a big problem. It was early fall before I got the decking completed so most of the summer we only climbed up and over the rails and not much time spent sitting around the pool. While hot it didn't really affect my walking up to the pool and leaning on the side. If they seemed too hot I could splash some water up on them and problem solved. Being plastic they don't really scorch you like they might if they were metal. I do like the look of the darker rails.

pool.jpg

First year for this pool, we had an old 27' pool in place here when we moved into the house in 03 and we used it for 3-4 years. It was poorly installed, out of level and getting rusty. The deck was really poorly built and falling apart. I drained the pool and tore it out a few years ago after the liner began to crack. Originally planned to replace the liner but everything about the pool was done wrong and failing. My wife wanted to replace the pool but I fought against it. There was just no point to stop. I could not find anything that was good enough to save, the pool, the deck, the fence.....all junk.

Finally gave in and decided if we were going to do it I wanted to start over from scratch with the whole project. Finished up the pool install and got it running first week of June. This pool is dug into the ground about a foot. I did that so I could build the pool deck at the same height as my existing main deck. The old pool deck had a 6" step up that I really hated. The new deck is so much better built and much nicer looking, the vinyl fence is fantastic. I was not sure at first because it's not as solid as a wood fence, but it looks great, is easy to care for and was very easy to install. After completion it does seem to be plenty durable.

Thanks for sharing. I wanted the LX, was worried about the rails getting to hot so bought the 8000. Slept on it and decided that I really want the LX, haha... decisions decisions. Luckily I caught it prior to them shipping it and was able to make the switch.

First year for this pool, we had an old 27' pool in place here when we moved into the house in 03 and we used it for 3-4 years. It was poorly installed, out of level and getting rusty. The deck was really poorly built and falling apart. I drained the pool and tore it out a few years ago after the liner began to crack. Originally planned to replace the liner but everything about the pool was done wrong and failing. My wife wanted to replace the pool but I fought against it. There was just no point to stop. I could not find anything that was good enough to save, the pool, the deck, the fence.....all junk.

Finally gave in and decided if we were going to do it I wanted to start over from scratch with the whole project. Finished up the pool install and got it running first week of June. This pool is dug into the ground about a foot. I did that so I could build the pool deck at the same height as my existing main deck. The old pool deck had a 6" step up that I really hated. The new deck is so much better built and much nicer looking, the vinyl fence is fantastic. I was not sure at first because it's not as solid as a wood fence, but it looks great, is easy to care for and was very easy to install. After completion it does seem to be plenty durable.

- - - Updated - - -

Thus far I've went with this,

[h=2]My Pool Package ™[/h]

REMOVE
EDIT
15'x30'x54" Saltwater LX Oval Pool$2,757.001
$2,757.00
Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer & Return Fitting$0.001
$0.00
15'x30' Oval Overlap Boulder Swirl Liner - 25 Gauge$150.001
$150.00
15'x30' Oval Peel N' Stick Foam Pool Cove$89.001
$89.00
15'x30' Oval Armor Shield Liner Floor Pad

$89.001
$89.00

I'm looking to pick up this filter and pump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EVNZT8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AWFPPQUZBOHNP

For the SWG, any reason to spend or not to spend the extra money between these two. SWG's seem pretty high across the board, anyone have advice for one.

If you are putting the pool up yourself I can't recommend enough getting the unibead liner. I had installed an overlap liner before and dreaded the process. The unibead practically installs itself, it was by far the easiest part of the whole pool. I had almost no wrinkles when done and the border was perfect all the way around.

Had the older version of that pump/filter combo on my old 27' pool. It worked fine but the filter needed backwashed weekly, I hated losing so much water and having to refill all the time. I'm sure some of that was due to my pool not being properly taken care of as well as it should have. I used pucks with the first pool and it stayed pretty clear for the first couple years, the third year it turned aqua green and I dumped in hundreds of dollars worth of chemicals, the sand filter constantly plugged.

I went with this pump and DE filter this time around and it has been fantastic. I started the filter up in June and didn't touch it until September. I bumped the handle a couple times to redistribute the DE and easily extended the filter until I finally closed the pool in mid November. It had very powerful flow from the return jet the whole summer, even as the pressure inched up a bit in October. I drained and cleaned the filter out to start fresh in the spring. I'm very happy with it and would do it again. I only needed to add a few inches of water to the pool about 3 times all summer. This filter and a daily dose of bleach had the water sparkling the entire summer. Bleach and a couple small doses of muratic acid is all I added to the pool all summer.

I had planned to go salt water and still may at some point. The bleach and stenner pump has worked very well and was cheaper to get started with. If I did I would definitely opt for a SWG installed in the return line. I had considered the aqua rite and also the pentair ic40. Installing a SWG is even more reason to buy a filter that doesn't require backwashing, and doesn't waste water and salt. A cartridge or DE filter will also do a better job of filtration, removing much smaller particles.

For anyone that may be purchasing from the pool factory, upon checking out use coupon code [FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] WEBSPP11 for an extra $15 off.

Finding info on the SWG seemed to be the hardest item to order. I ended up going with
[/FONT]
  • Hayward Aqua Trol RJ Salt Chlorine Generator System

Seems that anyone of them are or will be the weakest link in a system, replacing them after a couple years if you're lucky.

[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I need help! We bought a 12' saltwater Lx and are having so much trouble. We got everything up finally and started to put the unibead liner in. When we got it hung, there was was no way the liner was going to fit. I called the company and they said we will have to add sand on top of the cove that we bought. Did y'all have to do that to make it all fit? I measure from the floor seam on the liner up to the top and it was 48" but he said that was correct for a 54" pool. We are trying to follow the directions but it seems that they aren't exact and you do what you need to do to make it work. Anyone have any advice? I want this thing to last years!

Sorry, I haven't been on for a while and just saw your question. The liner will need to stretch a little, you want it to fit tight. The water will stretch it, but of course you don't want that to be excessive. I hung the liner all around the pool wall and then stuck the hose from a shop vac through the skimmer hole, taped around the hose and over the return hole to seal it up. The vac pulled the air between the liner and the wall out and sucked the liner mostly tight. I used a soft broom to move the liner around and work the wrinkles out. After doing this the liner was not completely tight against the wall but was fairly close all around. Filling with water the liner stretched to fit with very few wrinkles. My pool also has foam cove with a sand base, the sand was just covering the support blocks and the cove sat on top of the sand. I brushed some sand up against the cove to create a smooth transition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.