Ada, MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
In the next couple weeks we're getting an 18x36 saltwater vinyl L shaped IG pool with a 10x10 tanning ledge and Pentair equipment. They sent me the following to get me ready for caring for our saltwater system.

I already have a TF-100 test kit and have followed and studied this web site in depth. I won't be using their testing, and I probably will use muriatic acid for PH adjustment. It seems like the algae remover is a money grab. Managed correctly I don't expect that'll be needed. And water polisher? WTH is that? And Oxysheen too?

I'm interested in any other useful comments.

SaltScapes: Salt Care for Your In-Ground Pool
Saltwater pools are preferred for their simple and gentle approach to pool care. With that said, salt pools do have unique needs and require regular maintenance to ensure that you have a balanced and healthy pool. We recommend the BioGuard SaltScapes Saltwater Pool Care System to provide everything you need to keep your water sparkling and equipment protected.
Initial Set up
  1. Add SaltScapes SunShield Stabilizer directly to your water. One 5lb bag will treat up to 20,000 gallons of pool water. Your salt cell generates unstabilized chlorine which will diminish rapidly when exposed to the sun’s UV rays. This product helps protect the generated chlorine, so it lasts longer.
  2. Add the appropriate amount of Salt. Each salt chlorine generator needs a different level (see your owner’s manual.) If you are using a Pentair Intellichlor, 3200 ppm is needed. On average you will need to add 1 bag of salt per 10,000 gallons of water to increase salt by 480 ppm.
  3. Add SaltScapes Algae Remover at a rate of 1 bottle per 20,000 gallons of pool water. Algae can bloom in saltwater pools and this product kills all types.
After a few days of circulating your water, it is time to balance the water.
  1. Use a water bottle (or similar) to scoop up about a half pint of water from your pool. Be sure you are dipping down at least elbow deep and that you are away from the skimmer and return jets.
  2. Bring the water sample to one of our locations. We will run the sample through the BioGuard Alex Water Test System. If the water is out of balance, we will give you recommendations on how to balance your water.
Weekly Maintenance
  1. Add 1 bag of BioGuard OxySheen per 10,000 gallons of water. This removes contaminates from the water that are not able to be removed by just chlorine alone.
  2. Add SaltScapes Algae Remover. Just add 1 oz per 5,000 gallons to prevent algae blooms.
  3. Test the water. It is common for salt pools to have high pH due to how the chlorine is produced.
    SaltScapes pH Decreaser is commonly prescribed to balance your water.
Monthly
  1. Add SaltScapes Scale Defender each month, 1 bottle per 10,000 gallons. Add directly to water with pump running. This product binds to calcium-based scale crystals to prevent them from gathering and clumping on your pool surfaces, your salt cell, and the heat exchanger (if you have heater.)
  2. Test Stabilizer level and maintain a minimum of 30 ppm (parts per million).

Yearly
1. When you winterize your pool in the Fall, you will need to acid clean the cell in your chlorine generator.
Optional Product
We highly recommend adding BioGuard Optimizer. It is a polishing agent for water molecules. Water has jags edges, and this puts a polish on the water, so it is smoother and less likely to have algae attached to it. You add this once a season and next season you only add to the new water.

Last edited:
They sent me the following to get me ready for caring for our saltwater system.
Thank them for the ‘great advice’ and try to sound convincing. They have feelings too like we all do.
It seems like the algae remover is a money grab
Properly treat your water and algae can’t grow. It will also be sanitary for swimmers. And your money stays in your wallet. Win-win-win.
And water polisher? WTH is that? And Oxysheen too?
More money grabs. You need your own reliable test kit. *check*. Well done. You post them #s up and we have oodles of folks willing to guide you for nothing but good vibes from helping out a fellow pool enthusiast.

Once it clicks you will stick around like most of us to pass along *your* knowledge. And the best part will be you telling newbies how you were in their shoes and remember the feeling. You’ll offer to happily guide them until *they* get it. On the cheap too. It’s an epic win all around.

Reactions: Ebburns
BioGuard is NOTORIOUS for selling pool chemicals at a steep markup with very deceptive advertising. I once went into a pool store (major national chain) that sells lots of BioGuard products and there were 2 bags of cyanuric acid stabilizer on the shelf - one that was packaged for "chlorine pools" and one that was packaged "SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED for Salt water pools" .... both were 99.5% cyanuric acid. There was about a $5 difference in price (I think it was a 10lbs bag). Literally there was no difference except for the marketing.

You do not need any BioGuard products and you certainly don't need 80% of what they are telling you to put in your pool. Your pool needs CYA stabilizer (any brand will do), it needs salt (if you want to buy pool salt instead of softener salt, no big deal,. but softener salt is cheaper) and you need muriatic acid to control pH.

Unless your water is high in iron, I don't think you need the stain & scale control but that's up to you. It will not harm anything but there are better products out there than BioGuard.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.