Salt Water with Travertine Coping

Jun 16, 2015
Voorhees, NJ
I have a SWG and have been following the TFP method for about 3 years. Last month, I had my coping and tile replaced. I didn't even think anything about it, but I happened to see a website where they warned against using salt with travertine coping. They had pictures where it showed severe erosion/damage to the travertine. They recommended sealing it at the very least. My installer never mentioned any concerns about using salt. I called the coping manufacturer, and they said there is no issue. My installer said that he can seal the coping but that it will make it "darker." I've just been using liquid bleach for now until I can figure out how to proceed. I am so confused about what to do. If anyone could give me some advice/suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it!

It depends A LOT on environmental factor. However, you are in NJ, so rain there should keep your deck and coping well washed of any excess salt. In your area, I would be much more concerned with freeze/thaw heaving and spalling than salt.

If you do choose to use a sealant, it's NOT a one-time deal. You have to reapply it every couple years. Good sealants are NOT cheap either - DuPont StoneTech or DryTreat-40sk are both top of the line sealers that cost well over $100/gallon. Typical coverage rates would likely require many gallons and cost upwards of $1000 just in material costs. Sealing will also change the look of your decking; as your installer said, it will get darker.

Salt damage is typically only a problem in dry climates where water evaporates quickly and leaves lots of salt behind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.