Salt Water Pool Levels

Good morning from Ontario, Canada. We have had our Trilogy Nebula 8,000 U.S. Gallon for 3 years now and this group was an integral part of learning to understand the chemistry. I purchased a Taylor Complete Kit CK-2006 two years ago and that made an enormous difference to my growth. Thanks for the suggestion!
Two questions:
1. How long can I depend on the shelf life of the various chemicals in the Taylor kit. Just curious - my results still seem to be accurate based on the clarity of the pool.
2. Regarding salt levels; we have had a tonne of rain this summer and my SWCG has been showing red for low salt for much of the summer. I took it apart and cleaned it but there actually wasn't any build up and it barely foamed. I have read that the SWCGs salt sensors can begin to malfunction after a few years and not to necessarily trust them. I don't have a salt test included in the Taylor kit but I have used an AquaChek dip test which indicates salt around 2500 ppm. I am reading some blogs which indicate that 2500 ppm is low, and others which indicate that it is within range. The local pool store water testing says the salt is fine. I'm a wee bit muddled on what to do. If I follow the target of 3200 ppm I think I should add a bag. What are your thoughts?
Thanks so much! I hope it is sunny where you are! ☀️🌞🕶️

It would be best for you to get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit to determine your salt ppm before doing anything. What is the recommended salt ppm for your cell? If you decide to add salt before a proper water test then reduce the rate rather than adding an entire bag and observe changes in your cells performance.

Reactions: mshippest
Good Morning :)

1.. It depends.. I have had some stuff last over 2 years and some go bad after a year... What I do is if it seems fishy or off I get new stuff... the problem being sometimes it is a slow process.. Like DPD can slowly go high for FC.. So you think you are at 7 FC and you are really at 5...

As far as salt, get a test kit.. Also, if the SWG is telling you it needs salt it usually does need it.. But check first, if the salt test kit says you have 3500 and the SWG is saying it needs salt it may be about to go out....

If the SWG has no buildup do not clean it with acid, it can take life away from the cell.. I had my last cell 8 years and never cleaned it with acid :)

Reactions: mshippest
It would be best for you to get a Taylor K-1766 salt test kit to determine your salt ppm before doing anything. What is the recommended salt ppm for your cell? If you decide to add salt before a proper water test then reduce the rate rather than adding an entire bag and observe changes in your cells performance.
I thought I would do that but then I was worried that I would keep adding and adding without any result from the SWCG and end up with high salt. I'm in Canada and it is not as easy to get the Taylor products as it is in the U.S. I'll check the recommended level for my Pentair i20. That's good advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.