Salt Water Generator with or without probes?

jknotten

May 20, 2021
Costa del Sol, Spain
I am considering installing a SWG in my small pool (13K gallons). Looking at the pool shops online, I notice that there are generally 3 types of chlorine generator:
  1. Chlorine Generator no probes, no dosing pump.
  2. Chlorine Generator with pH probe and a dosing pump.
  3. Chlorine Generator with pH and ORP probe and a dosing pump.
My friend advised me that I should just go with the basic chlorine generator without any probes because the probes may be unreliable and more trouble than they're worth.

Also, what chemical would the dosing pump need to control the pH?

Welcome to TFP :)

Take your friends advice as it is good.. Just a basic SWG and get one at least 2 times the size of your pool... anything above 30k SWG will work for you... My pool is 15k and I have a 45k SWG.. :)

Last edited:
An ORP probe can also be used to automatically adjust the SWG. Not just for liquid chlorine.

I'm on team "no probes." If they work correctly, you're saving yourself maybe five minutes a week. If they don't work correctly (which seems fairly common), you're looking at potentially thousands of dollars of damage. The pH probes constantly need to be recalibrated, which means you aren't really saving yourself time, and the ORP probes don't actually measure chlorine, they're guessing anyway. Better to do the testing manually and directly and know that the pool is right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.