Aug 3, 2015
Grants Pass, OR
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey gang,

I'm considering one of these for the tub.

15 years ago or so I had read that SWCGs result in lower CCs. Back then I installed one for my outdoor pool and never have CC problems sans a huge pool party, but... the UVs could very well be taking care of most or all of that.

My ozonator for the tub is out, so I have CC issues with it now, but... at least I don't have to add as much chlorine as in years passed. I was hopeful an SWCG would solve that problem for me, but I've read here that some guys still have to open their lids weekly or so to break up the CCs. Well that won't work well 6 months a year around here.

If an SWCG doesn't serve this function, then the value is much lower as I have no problem keeping up on the chlorine with bleach.

Your thoughts are appreciated

EDIT: Those who have made the switch... have you noted any decrease in SLAMing and/or lid-off necessity?

Or no?

Last edited:
I just did a bunch more reading on it and it appears that it's the superchlorination that is going on as the water is passing through the cell in my swimming pool SWCG that is shocking to death whatever CCs were able to skate by the sun.

If so, it seems like this would occur to the CC water around the drape over cell too when in operation.

I guess I'm just wondering if folks around here have noted any decrease in SLAMing and/or lid-off necessity after switching to salt for their tubs or no.

The only time i have cc’s above .5 that require me going to shock level for my cya is when i close the lid immediately after soaking & the cc’s can’t escape. This happens on occasion due to time constraints. The longest i am ever away from my tub & its not in use is around a week.
I am assuming u are meaning that 6 months out of the year you are away from your tub so you can’t periodically open the lid? If so you may have other issues with a swg creating too much fc over time. If so Is there someone that checks on your tub?

Mdragger88,

No, I mean there's little sun in my region between October 1st and April 1st. I updated the OP to make that clearer.

Not that it matters... since we've cleared up the issue about long periods away from home, but the SWCG I'm most interested in is the SmarterSpa. Seems like one COULD actually bail for months and come back to a nearly perfect tub with that unit.

For me it would come in handy for the few 1 week trips we may take where we have a house sitter who may or may not use the tub. Once balanced, I would think she could add a few ounces of bleach after a soak and caller' good.

Now... how long do you leave the lid off to dissipate CCs after your soaks?

but the SWCG I'm most interested in is the SmarterSpa. Seems like one COULD actually bail for months and come back to a nearly perfect tub with that unit.

I have a Smarter Spa SWCG. I agree that manual additions of chlorine and chlorine generators are equally effective IF you don't let your chlorine drop too low or below zero for very long. I, however, LOVE the convenience of the Smarter Spa since it adds chlorine (amount of chlorine added is adjustable by how long you let it run) when the chlorine drops to the level that you set. This basically ensures that the Chlorine never goes lower or higher than I want including on vacations AND my chlorine levels can be kept in a low range that I prefer. I do add bleach after long soaks or soaks with multiple people.

For more information, check this out...... My SmarterSpa Salt Water Generator (SWG) experience

Reactions: Mdragger88
I have a Smarter Spa SWCG. I agree that manual additions of chlorine and chlorine generators are equally effective IF you don't let your chlorine drop too low or below zero for very long. I, however, LOVE the convenience of the Smarter Spa since it adds chlorine (amount of chlorine added is adjustable by how long you let it run) when the chlorine drops to the level that you set. This basically ensures that the Chlorine never goes lower or higher than I want including on vacations AND my chlorine levels can be kept in a low range that I prefer. I do add bleach after long soaks or soaks with multiple people.

For more information, check this out...... My SmarterSpa Salt Water Generator (SWG) experience
Thanks!

Yeah, I had read that post of yours. Very cool of you to share.

And yeah... for 4 of us I would probably boost with some bleach ahead of time. Don't want the FC to drop below zero with all of our butts in there. And then either test when we're done or just add some more to be sure the tub will make it through the night.

If I end up going this route, I would definitely plunk down the extra coin for the SmarterSpa. The only downsides... supposedly... are... the transformer is said to be cold sensitive... and the head unit doesn't like to get wet.

Things can get a little cold and wet around here, but you're in Minnesota. Did you do anything special in regard to the elements you encounter over that way?

Things can get a little cold and wet around here, but you're in Minnesota. Did you do anything special in regard to the elements you encounter over that way?

I got my Smart Spa in early spring so I have not done anything special yet. Before it get's too cold here, I'm going to mount the power supply in my pump/heater/equipment area inside my hot tub.

I got my Smart Spa in early spring so I have not done anything special yet. Before it get's too cold here, I'm going to mount the power supply in my pump/heater/equipment area inside my hot tub.
Cool.

Yeah, I've seen some guys have done that and the company sells a pigtail to run it right off the tub's control box.

Now how about the head unit? Have you taken or do you plan to take... precautions regarding precipitation and such?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.