Salt water chlorine generator--standard recommendations for levels?

Nigel459

Mar 9, 2019
Ontario
Hi all,

I've been using the "Chlormaker" SWCG for a couple of months now and it's been awesome. Absolutely no issues. With my size spa--smallish at 285 g--"setting 3" has been rock steady at 2.5-3 ppm FC; and "setting 4" puts it always at 4-5ppm.

My CYA is 30, as calculated by dichlor additions after a fresh fill.

With the FC at 3, I'd say we don't notice any chlorine at all. At 5ppm we do notice it verrrry slightly, particularly as an odour on the skin after getting out.

I see that with SWCG pools, the recommended CYA is 70+.

I'm considering trying to bump up my CYA even though it's a covered spa. I know that "buffers" the FC, but does it affect the post-soak feel/odour?

I don't see any recommendations for CYA levels in SWCG spas--am I missing them somewhere? Thanks!

There would not be a need for you to increase your CYA and thus FC levels. The higher CYA is recommended to overcome the slow FC addition and the losses to the sun.

3ppm FC at 30ppm would be equivalent to 6ppm FC at 60ppm in terms of "harshness"

I think you could dial your SWG back a bit and try for a lower FC since your CYA is lower.

Thanks--appreciate the input.

The reason I'm asking (should have said so first) is that when I run the unit at the setting that keeps it at 2.5-3ppm FC (which we prefer), after a longer soak the FC is sometimes completely used up. It does the trick for us usually but after longer soaks or with a third person I do need to add bleach.

When we run it at the setting that keeps 5ppm the FC hangs in and never gets all used up before it can regenerate, even longer soaks. (Unless it's a real crowd/party/etc. of course.)

If running at 5ppm FC and 50 CYA "feels" the same as 3ppm FC/30 CYA, why not do 5/50? It seems that would provide more "reserve" chlorine for sanitizing. It is awesome to be hands off. If going 5/50 covers all the bases, i.e. longer soaks etc., is there a downside?

No real downside beyond having to add more CYA and maybe run the SWG more.

I do not have a lot of experience with spas, but I though the idea was to have the FC pretty low when actually using them to avoid the CC smell and then raising it back up after use.
As you stated with the higher FC, you may notice more smell on your skin from the added CCs.

Nigel,

How often do you open the cover and let the spa vent in the bright sunlight???

I run my saltwater spa at 5 ppm or higher and I don't have any chlorine smell.. But I do let the spa breath two or three times a week for 45 minutes or so..

I run my CYA at about 30 or 40 ppm..

I rairly have to add any additional chemicals other the MA... Just the SWCG for 5 hours a night... I routinely test to make sure I have about 5 ppm before we soak, and then turn the SWCG on once we get out, for 5 hours... Just the two of us, so not a heavy bather load, and we only use it for 30 to 60 minutes a night...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks folks,

I do open the cover to air it out occasionally to burn off CCs but not quite three times a week. We’re in trees too so sunlight is scarce. There is a window of sun at high noon for an hour or two if I catch it. Our use is slightly lighter than yours Jim.

It sounds like you’re suggesting the only chlorine we smell is CCs. Could be I just associated it with the higher setting. It is a subtle smell but how does one best deal with CCs without sunlight?

I used to run my Chlormaker Inline at 2-3 PPM with 30 PPM CYA. After soaking there might be the faintest chlorine smell on the the skin, but that seemed unavoidable as some residual chlorine would be trying to oxidize sweat and whatnot. Rinsing off in the shower after fixes that if desired. We always used the boost function after soaking, but I don't recall whether FC typically hit 0 during the soaks. Maybe, for those longer soaks, you could start the boost function before getting in so it stays ahead of the demand?

Have you considered upgrading your Chlormaker to the "SmarterSpa" model that has automatic detection of chlorine levels? They have both inline and drop-in versions now.

...We always used the boost function after soaking, but I don't recall whether FC typically hit 0 during the soaks. Maybe, for those longer soaks, you could start the boost function before getting in so it stays ahead of the demand?...
Good idea, boost earlier if you know you're in for a while. The boost is great and really seems to do the trick. In fact, since getting the Chlormaker our water has been perfect with no issues. Maybe I'm unnecessarily worried about FC going to 0 shortly while the boost catches up after a longer soak (very rarely).
...Have you considered upgrading your Chlormaker to the "SmarterSpa" model that has automatic detection of chlorine levels? They have both inline and drop-in versions now.
I considered the SmarterSpa but opted for the more budget friendly Chlormaker. Replacement cells are $100 instead of $200 for the SmarterSpa, due to the detection component in the SS I guess. So far so good. I can't ask for anything more than rock solid FC levels. It just works. Not sure the automation is really necessary, i.e. worth the extra cost. Although I guess it's basically an "auto-boost" and would be that next level of convenience. Do you have it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.