Salt water chlorine generator physical orientation

VinceL

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 28, 2012
Newton, NC
Our pool was installed in 2012, and the Hayward T-Cell15 finally died this year. I purchased a replacement cell and installed it myself.

After installing it I was looking through information about the cell from Hayward. The documentation stated that if the cell is installed horizontally and using a VSP pump running on a slower speed there was a risk of the cell not completely filling with water leaving some plates above the water line. Our original cell was installed in a horizontal position with the offset facing up. Given that for all those years it generated plenty of chlorine I have to assume that even when running the pump at a relatively slow 1380 rpm it was being filled with water.

As a precaution I have rotated the cell 180° so that the offset is now below the incoming and outgoing pipes.

What do you experts say? Is it a good idea, bad idea or doesn't make any difference.

May help, can’t hurt, to have the cell hump down.

Our pool was installed in 2012, and the Hayward T-Cell15 finally died this year. I purchased a replacement cell and installed it myself.

After installing it I was looking through information about the cell from Hayward. The documentation stated that if the cell is installed horizontally and using a VSP pump running on a slower speed there was a risk of the cell not completely filling with water leaving some plates above the water line. Our original cell was installed in a horizontal position with the offset facing up. Given that for all those years it generated plenty of chlorine I have to assume that even when running the pump at a relatively slow 1380 rpm it was being filled with water.

As a precaution I have rotated the cell 180° so that the offset is now below the incoming and outgoing pipes.

What do you experts say? Is it a good idea, bad idea or doesn't make any difference.
Cell jump down avoids having bubbles collect in the cell.

So are y’all saying that the salt cell, when installed vertically, should have the hump side on the bottom rather than the top???

I think I read this somewhere else, so I’m just trying to verify which is the correct way. What do you all do???

Thanks!

So are y’all saying that the salt cell, when installed vertically, should have the hump side on the bottom rather than the top???

Correct. It ensures the plates are always totally submerged.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.